Goose Shenanigans

Well mine got into some shenanigans this morning, but not entirely of their own volition. It has been raining on and off here for days. Last night it started and just didn't stop. When I got up (to work from home) this morning all the poultry pens were under about six inches of water. Georgia is nesting in a jumbo cat litter pan to keep her nest dry. Did you know that a goose, nine eggs, and hay in a litter pan will float in six inches of water? Because they do. She'd sailed right out of the entire house into the pen and was idly drifting along fussing in her confusion. Golly of course became enraged at his lovely wife's dilemma and decided that Sterling II (a very handsome Silver-laced Orpington cockerel) was to blame who was innocently minding his own business trying to work on his flamingo impersonation. The roommate summoned me when Golly started in on the cockerel and was holding him under the water. I rescued him, Georgia abandoned ship, literally, and the roommate had Golly pinned down to the ground, waterproof feathers be damned. lol He was furious and embarrassed to say the least. Once everyone was wrangled and calmed down I nudged the drifting nest back into the house, and watched from the kitchen window. Georgia returned to her nest much like a Grebe, Golly stalked over to keep watch, and once Sterling was all fluffy and dry he returned to the big yard. They've been fine all day ever since then. The water has receded enough that her nest is on the ground again. Let's hope it stays that way.

I’m dying laughing right now! 😂

I think your senior citizen geese are amazing @Silkie2005 !! 😍🥰 Hope my pair live to such old ages!!
Thank you so much! I have found some old pictures of them from 2009, shows what they looked like with their proper feathers.

20200216_174401.jpg
20200216_180657.jpg

Walter always had to have the last word before being locked away!

@ColtHandorf I loved your Jurassic Park reference! Every day is like a scene out of it with my Leo!
When I first got geese my view of that first film completly changed actually.
No longer did I saw a Cretaceous age movie monster, Rexy was forever transformed into a big goose.
From watching her delicately tinkering at the small people and their irresistible light in the fun car toy “you know a 9 ton animal would smoosh those people in a heartbeat if she wanted too,” chewing on those chewy smooshy tires on the fun car toy, sampling the screechy man and flinging her head in disgust because clearly he doesn’t taste good, to watching her chase the fun car toy and wail in sadness when it got to far away...leaving her alone, I laugh my way through that movie now. She’s a big goose.
Also those kids hand feeding the brachiosaurus, if those things were anything like the waterfowl I know “especially my ducks” they were staring death in the face right there! 😂

Back
Top Bottom