Goose Shenanigans

The whole expierience has led me to believe that female Buff geese can smell fear.

That's too funny. Georgia, my Buff female is not a people person. She tolerates me, but if Golly, the gander, isn't close to her, she'll behave really nervously. She has never gone after me or any visitors. She's even let me do nest checks with her on the nest last year. Now if she's with Golly, she's a fantastic cheerleader. She yells from a safe distance while he bluffs and hisses.

That's too funny. Georgia, my Buff female is not a people person. She tolerates me, but if Golly, the gander, isn't close to her, she'll behave really nervously. She has never gone after me or any visitors. She's even let me do nest checks with her on the nest last year. Now if she's with Golly, she's a fantastic cheerleader. She yells from a safe distance while he bluffs and hisses.
Georgia is a beautiful name for a goose!

I guess I'm pretty lucky with my geese. They tend to stay out of trouble. Golly does enjoy chewing on wood so there's a large limb in their pen for him to destroy instead of the prefabricated nest boxes on the manufactured coop I use for young birds on the ground. :rolleyes: When I first got them they were enamored with the heavy-duty rubber bungee I use to fasten the door to the house shut at night. The cheaper ones have been destroyed if they find them hanging on the wire or being used to hold something down like a tarp. But all in all I can't complain too much.

I guess I'm pretty lucky with my geese. They tend to stay out of trouble. Golly does enjoy chewing on wood so there's a large limb in their pen for him to destroy instead of the prefabricated nest boxes on the manufactured coop I use for young birds on the ground. :rolleyes: When I first got them they were enamored with the heavy-duty rubber bungee I use to fasten the door to the house shut at night. The cheaper ones have been destroyed if they find them hanging on the wire or being used to hold something down like a tarp. But all in all I can't complain too much.
Ah, the bungee cord fascination...my Pilgrims apparently think bungees are chew toys. I had a pretty sturdy one at the bottom of a gate (it was also chained at the top) and it was getting oddly frayed - too advanced for just ordinary use, even with weather ups and downs...come to find out the geese were noodling with it. :rolleyes: It's been replaced by a thick and basically inflexible rubber cord that they can't do much to.

My geese love bungees, any stringy stretchy thing, and as a rule anything they shouldn’t have in their mouths. If it’s forbidden they can’t resist.
My Buff Apricot knows what she isn’t allowed to have and starts running the moment she picks something up, that’s my cue to run after her and pull whatever it is out before it goes down her throat.

First and foremost though, I think I’m their favorite chew toy.

Back
Top Bottom