GrandChick dust bathing

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Buffy has been taking her solo chick out of her brooding coop every day since it was 9 days old. It took her just over a week to venture out of the run into the back yard and she's been showing that chick how to do Everything Chicken.

They wander a bit further from the run every day, but do have their special "zones" of safety they frequent most of the time. Yesterday she took the chick much closer to where everybody else tends to range. (Although some of them are now going further afield into the front yard and into my land-lady's back yard, Buffy hasn't exited my back yard yet.) The yew trees are the favorite cooling off place for most of the chickens, especially the bantam breeds. None of the bantams have made it out of the back yard, yet, either.

Anyway, here's a shot of the chick dust-bathing, 23 days old.
41679_july19_008.jpg

Buffy had something to say to one of the bantam roos that wandered by (behind me, so not in the shot).
41679_july19_009.jpg

Carl meandered back from the front yard to check on the situation and schmooze with Buffy for a bit.
41679_july19_010.jpg

Buffy didn't want to spend much time with her back to the chick.
41679_july19_012.jpg

And Carl decided to make an announcement; not sure if it was routine Rooster Stuff or something about the GrandChick.
41679_july19_011.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Buffy is a good look'in momma!
What is her baby's name? I have an EE pullet that looks just like him/her!

Buffy is the hatch mother, Rebecca the EE laid the actual egg. And Carl, that handsome EE fella is the daddy.

I've named my GrandChick "Sam" - I figure it could go Samuel or Samantha. And I've got my fingers crossed for Samantha!
fl.gif

Quote:
Buffy is the hatch mother, Rebecca the EE laid the actual egg. And Carl, that handsome EE fella is the daddy.

I've named my GrandChick "Sam" - I figure it could go Samuel or Samantha. And I've got my fingers crossed for Samantha!
fl.gif

Hopefully it's a "Samantha!"

Back
Top Bottom