grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine did have food down all day until the invasion of the chipmunks. I hate them little suckers.

Ducks eat at night so now I fill the feeders with all they can eat in the am and pm. I tried flock raiser but the crumbles get wasted. The ducks will be separate from the chickens. So probably be feeding duck food and breeder grower + calcium and grit free choice. I don't like to think of them going hungry. When the coops and runs are chipmunk proof they will have food all the time unless they get too chubby. I give extra corn in winter so they can have more body heat. They get corn, whole wheat and barley as scratch. All non gmo.

Mine did have food down all day until the invasion of the chipmunks. I hate them little suckers.

Ducks eat at night so now I fill the feeders with all they can eat in the am and pm. I tried flock raiser but the crumbles get wasted. The ducks will be separate from the chickens. So probably be feeding duck food and breeder grower + calcium and grit free choice. I don't like to think of them going hungry. When the coops and runs are chipmunk proof they will have food all the time unless they get too chubby. I give extra corn in winter so they can have more body heat. They get corn, whole wheat and barley as scratch. All non gmo.
we did have chipmunks here too.. but there are so many cats in the neighbor hood ..they all finally were eaten or left..two of my ee's look like ducks lol

Little pup is safely with her new family, thanks to a certain matchmaking granny!

:woot

You sound like you could be a rescue/re homing centre there Ol Grey Mare!! Your so nice to have taken her into your home in the first place. That's great to hear she has found a new home and she is safe. Super granny!!

Wishing that appointment was a cancelation. You wait months for a regular one. The whole country is going to the Dr at once.

Swedish Black hen or svart hona. So cool looking.
Oh, wow. Not too good for anyone who has a medical problem or anything. (italics are dripping sarcasm)

Those chickens look like ayam cemani from Indonesia. They are very cool. The Swedes must of got some and made their own breed. Love the inky black faces. Have you seen one dressed to eat? Look like charcoal before they even get on the grill! Black meat and bones. I saw silkies in the meat counter at an asian market. They looked more purple than black.

If you can't beat the chipmunk problem, there are those feeders with a lid that opens when a chicken steps on the treadle. Chipmunks are too light to make it work.

I can't believe I am saying this but...........talk to me about incubators
hide.gif
Are there good "beginner" models to look for or those to stay away from? Not set in stone yet, but find myself coming back to the idea a lot lately (doesn't help that I keep seeing them listed in the various swap groups I belong to).

I can't believe I am saying this but...........talk to me about incubators :oops:   Are there good "beginner" models to look for or those to stay away from?   Not set in stone yet, but find myself coming back to the idea a lot lately (doesn't help that I keep seeing them listed in the various swap groups I belong to).

Ooh incubators :celebrate

How much babysitting of an incubator do you want to do? Some are set and forget with very little messing or need to interfere with them. Others need to be checked regular and eggs turned etc. Another factor is how much do you want to spend? Some can be very cheap but be wary of them as they tend to be knock off models that are not good quality and or give out the wrong readings. How many eggs? Whatever you get or might get ;) I would recommend a second thermometer and hygrometer to double check what the incubator is doing.

For me Brinsea is always the way to go. A little more pricey but no hassle and a brand to be trusted.

I can't believe I am saying this but...........talk to me about incubators
hide.gif
Are there good "beginner" models to look for or those to stay away from? Not set in stone yet, but find myself coming back to the idea a lot lately (doesn't help that I keep seeing them listed in the various swap groups I belong to).

You better hide under a chair!
gig.gif
Incubators are hard core!

Refuse to get one myself, but I have, of course, researched thoroughly. You know, just in case...
hide.gif
If you have the $$, rcom and Brinsea make some of the most reliable and idiot proof incubators. At the time, I was looking for ones that would be good for Serama eggs, so these came up as having very good temp and humidity control. From what I read, the less expensive ones work just fine, but you need a place to keep it that keeps a fairly constant temp and has no drafts. A lot of people put then in the closet while incubating.

Ooh incubators
celebrate.gif

How much babysitting of an incubator do you want to do? Some are set and forget with very little messing or need to interfere with them. Others need to be checked regular and eggs turned etc. Another factor is how much do you want to spend? Some can be very cheap but be wary of them as they tend to be knock off models that are not good quality and or give out the wrong readings. How many eggs? Whatever you get or might get
wink.png
I would recommend a second thermometer and hygrometer to double check what the incubator is doing.

For me Brinsea is always the way to go. A little more pricey but no hassle and a brand to be trusted.
I'm not much for babysitting, so the simpler the better, lol. I would hope I could restrain myself and not ever need to have more than 3-4 dozen at a time in the incubator, lol - likely less than that.

You better hide under a chair!
gig.gif
Incubators are hard core!

Refuse to get one myself, but I have, of course, researched thoroughly. You know, just in case...
hide.gif
If you have the $$, rcom and Brinsea make some of the most reliable and idiot proof incubators. At the time, I was looking for ones that would be good for Serama eggs, so these came up as having very good temp and humidity control. From what I read, the less expensive ones work just fine, but you need a place to keep it that keeps a fairly constant temp and has no drafts. A lot of people put then in the closet while incubating.

Thank you!
So, that's two votes for brinsea.........
jumpy.gif

DH has come up with a new toy he wants - so I figure this is a good time to leverage a new toy for myself out of the deal, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom