grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    We are not doing Christmas presents this yr. It was about that here today. very beautiful day.[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That's the thing - just a plain ol' 48 inch strip light fixture for aquariums - unfortunately that is the size at which most places either stop offering shipping or start doubling prices. *could* do 2 24"ers end to end, but not in love with that look. The "shop light" fixtures from Lowes, etc don't sit right. Think I just found one on Amazon that I can justify the investment on. The light for that tank (DD's main tank) went out over a year ago - I moved the light from DS's tank onto her's and then gave his tank one of mine (my tank is 6 ft and has 2 36" strips).....it worked out okay, but I had to give up on almost all of the live plants in my tank (moved some of them to DD's, the rest were lost).

Woo Hoo - sorry about the hunting, but having all that data back AND balanced has got to be one heck of a good feeling!

X 2 -- have you placed the food/water right near the nest in an effort to accommodate her and make it easier for her to eat/drink without leaving the nest as much? I ask as this is a common mistake in the approach to a broody hen. Doing so seems like a kindness from a human perspective, but in the long run it short circuits nature - having to get up off the nest and move away from it to get to food/water gives that hen a chance to take care of other needs as well, ie defecation, in a location away from the nest.

1 person likes this.
  3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the shop lights lso cause alge pretty bad. I might have a 24 but that would be the biggest. can we see your 6ft. ? I miss my tank. I have an empty 30 gal out in the pole barn.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Has anyone talked to Wishing today ? her home page says she was on 3 hrs. ago.

5. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I am guilty of mare. I was so worried because I never seen her get up for three days. Her comb had gotten so pale that it was almost white. And it started leaning over to one side. It's still leaning but the color has come back .

6. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    X2

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The live plants (especially my floating plants) are great at balancing out strong light and preventing algae -- they suck up all the nutrients that the algae would feed on to grow.....have used them before but just not wanting to mess with constructing a good to make it fit right and direct the light right since they are designed to spread the light for a whole room/shop vs reflectors sending it straight down into a concentrated small space like a tank.

This is what it used to look like..........now it's a sad, depressing sight, lol. I am going to do a total reset - new species and new plants - as soon as I get the lighting situation straightened out....
    [​IMG]

Left end
    [​IMG]

Right end

These pics were taken before the plants had really filled in, it got to the point where I was pulling out plants and selling them to the fish shop down in Clarksville at least once a month because they were doing so well........ they looked SO nice, then they were gone [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I love to watch the fish in a tank, but I hate having to be the one doing the maintenance on them. Sorry you lost your plants Mare. You had a beautiful setup there.

9. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Mare that was beautiful. You can do it again.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I hear you on the maintenance, that was/is the beauty of a good, planted tank as if you get things balanced just right there is little more to maintenance than just topping off the water now and then. DS's tank(s) are the biggest pains as his main tank is non-planted (due to a giant pleco who would gladly uproot anything that dared try to grow in there) and then his breeding tank which is stripped bare and requires good attention to keep conditions right. I could sit and watch a nice tank for hours, so relaxing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by