grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannachic

Dannachic Overrun With Chickens

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    i finally caught up..sure glad you are finished twist that would have drove me nuts...love your tank mare i had one in my younger days.so relaxing to watch the fish..now i watch chickens..sorry about losing the deer lisa.granny you really need to hatch more chicks.seems you love it and are happy when doing it.red i hope all goes well with the chicks and momma.was that linda who has a hubby cooking for her? how nice that would be.dh can make toast real good..hope you feel better camping.i hate being sick.seems to linger forever with me.newfie some pretty hens and roo you have.if i forgot anyone i'm sorry..i use my age to get away with that..

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    beautiful mare.[​IMG] what does your son breed ? I had some good luck with angels

3. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy Premium Member

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Needing some advice on molting hens. I have a handful of over 18 month old hens that are going thru a heavy molt right now. They are acting & looking like they are half dead. I have one poor leghorn mix that looks awful. She is basically just standing around. Poor thing only has 4 feathers left in her tail. It has been a white feather heaven all over the runs & coop. I feed my flock fermented All Flock Raiser with a small amount of boss & a small amount of mixed grains. So they are getting quite a bit of protein, but they are still taking a long time to get through this molt. I'm afraid if they lose too much more weight, they are going to get sick. Any additional advice to help them thru this? I have been delaying turning on the light for better egg production from the younger gals that are laying because I want the older girls to get thru their molt first. Its just taking so darn long.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hahaa I do miss it

5. Dannachic

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    i know you do..thats when you are the happiest..[​IMG]

6. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    It is very relaxing, just like chicken TV. I'd rather clean chicken poo than a fish tank anyday. Lol.

7. Dannachic

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    mine are taker longer too lisa and they look bad.they won't come outside they are probably cold and like you i feed them good so i guess it will just take time..

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    when 40 odd chicks died at hatch I threw it and it cracked down one corner. its still laying where it landed . In the bathtub. [​IMG]

Lisa, are ALL your chickens like that ? was it you that had the bubbles in the eye? I dont remember them losing weight..

9. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Oh I had horrible luck with angel fish, loved them but they always died.

10. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    No bubble in the eyes here, maybe they just look like they losing weight because they've lost so many feathers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by