grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    So I went to the feed store that's closest to me today with DH to pick up a couple of last minute things. Luckily (for him!) they were out of chicks until tomorrow. ;) One of the girls that works there brings in her 3 chicks when she's working, and keeps them in a brooder in the store (I guess so that they don't get lonely?). They are 6 weeks old, an EE, a barred rock, and a buff orp. I took one look at that orp and (after a short pleasant conversation) asked her if she lives in the city or the county, and she said she lIves in the city. Then I gently said to her, you might not want to get too attached to the orp then, because I'm almost positive she is, sadly, a he. :/ She was very adamant that it was in fact a hen, because "the hatchery sexed them". Yikes. I don't even have chickens yet, but I've stalked enough photos to know that a huge red comb and large red wattles are not a good indicator of a hen! Lol, I hope she's right and I'm wrong, but I would put money on that little one being a boy.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    manychitlins, I love how you have done your home work before you get the chicks. Tons dont . not that it dont work out but many are lost along the way. and some you just cant tell any thing to. they will /have to, find out the hard way. Taking them to work with her every day is a little on the odd side to begin with i think. That should of been your sign. LOL

3. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    You talking about me? ;)

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] No, I wasnt. I am talking about people that DONT do their homework. You are or you wouldnt be here. I started out not knowing jack. Still dont know much. lol those that go to TSC and see the chicks and grab 20 then get home and say , what do you do with them, what do they eat? I think you just put them outside and they find their own food. Those are the people i am talking about.

5. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I have been avoiding going to the feed store because they have tons of chicks in now. Have about one day left for the bantams' food, so I will have to go tomorrow. I could probably avoid looking at the chicks and get out safely, but all that peeping! How can I avoid the adorable new chick peeping? I am doomed.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oh thats rough ! I keep saying ( to myself) that when we go i will send someone else in but by the time we arrive I just cant help myself !

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Went outside today to feed and to my horror there was a coyote pack standing there. One of them was very large and had foam or drool dripping from its mouth. I barred its teeth at me and i just froze !!! I didnt know what to think or do. I dont know how long that went on but it seemed like forever. I was standing next to my brooder cage with the big hen in it that got hurt so i slipped the latch off the door and shooed the chicken out of the cage. It made a terrible noise. never heard one like that before. almost a scream. The coyote lunged at the hen and I took off back in the house. there was nothing i could do except watch as they destroyed my barn. I called the police and they informed me that because today was april fools day i could tease my friends all i wanted to and get by with it because you cant slap someone over the computer.

8. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

:lau :smack

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] not my best work but short notice and all that.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't do April fool's jokes. . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by