grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    I have light brahmas very mellow if they go broody don't seen to get evil-mean protecting the nest. Excellent mothers. Calm, sort of lazy not efficient as far as feed to egg ratio will start laying latter then many types. egg size all over the chart. They are no longer going to be my main breed but will always have a few around. Great beginner bird. Very hardy lay through the winter. Mine adore mud puddles so they look sort of like they are wearing spats. Love the feathers feet/legs. Nothing much new around here. Have to clean house tomorrow and then put pet gate up to keep beth out of the clean area. The people who bought beth's sister (the other one I thought about keeping instead) stopped in to day. The 2 girls had a blast playing. She is bigger then beth a little and has a much broader head then beth. Seeing her really did confirm my choice of keeping Beth.

Good night all Sweet Dreams and Warm fuzzies.

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Thoughts and prayers with you and your family. I think it's harder on grandmas than granddaughters. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Excellent choices! And you know, without pictures, it didn't really happen! [​IMG] I have a little black Marans (project/cross). She's a very sweet girl.

Make sure the marans is eating and drinking. She's probably just getting her plumbing in order.

4. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

Congrats! So cute!

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

You could run some chick probiotics in their water. Congrats we need pictures! [​IMG]

7. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    I promise that I'll actually reply to people later tonight, we have to get ready to go to seder soon. But in the meantime, here are some fluffies! :)

Meet Chicky, the Cuckoo Marans (with yellow on her beak and feet... I've read they aren't supposed to have that, but I guess we'll see how she turns out lol)...

[​IMG]

And Lightening Speed, the Light Brahma.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

So far, here's what I know about them. Chicky is VERY curious about everything. She comes right out from under the brooder to check out whatever is looking in... the kids, us, the cats with hungry looks in their eyes, etc. She didn't know how to actually lay down last night, and couldn't figure out how to get in and out of the heat. I kept having to help. Luckily she figured it out. :)

Lightening Speed likes to follow Chicky around everywhere, but always wants to go back under the brooder after a minute or two to take another snooze. She likes her sleep, that girl. Well, I hope she's a girl, anyway... her legs look suspiciously thick to me but I guess I don't really know what I'm looking at. :)

They are both eating and drinking and pooping (the foam is gone). Chicky had a bit of a rough time before she came home with me, I'm assuming they arrived at the store yesterday sometime since they had full brooders and every single other store in the area was sold out of chicks. I called like 15 stores before I found one with anything interesting. Anyway, the brooder that the CM were in was SO HOT. The poor things were panting like crazy and piling up on the opposite side trying to get away from the heat. They all about jumped out when she opened the door to grab one of them. So I think she just was overheated. Once I got them to the car I put them in a big box I had put in there with food and water, and she drank for like 10 minutes straight. Poor thing. She was the one with the foamy poo. Another question, how long am I going to have to clean poop off of their feet?? Eventually that stops, right? lol :) Anyway be back later tonight to reply to everyone. Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Just in case y'all were wondering, hauling 11 roosters in a mini-van with no AC is a good way to make your husband and kids EXTREMELY grumpy.

9. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Just finished reading all the pages!

I must say Granny I love your anecdotes and conversation with enola, twisted acres, manychitlets, Suzierd, campingshaws, Wishing4Wings and everyone else.
    You totally tricked me with that April fools story, I thought - what bad policemen not taking you seriously on April Fools Day... Waiiiiitttttt..... Did I read that right? I then proceeded to reread it about 4 times before I realised how gullible I am lol. I was also tricked by the BYC mod thing.

As for favourite breeds - I used to have Polish who I loved and was mad and beautiful, she would squawk for me to come over and hold her but she never laid. My other one was so sweet but really shy with the others.
    I also used to have a blackrock who was so gorgeous as well.

Now I have a leghorn who is mad as a hatter - whenever the others lay she is there with them clucking an extra loud egg song. She is always dirty no matter what I do and I love her extra large white eggs. She is top of the pecking order and is very dominant (nothing more than a few pecks though) but she does get my Araucana to squat! I raised her from a chick but regardless before she began laying I could never catch her; now she comes up to me and eats from my hand. <3

My exbattery is so sweet and always comes up to me when I call. She is never mean to the other girls but they don't dare mess with her. As soon as the sun comes out she is always sunbathing in a hole. :) Unfortunately, ex batteries aren't built for longevity so she only lays sporadically but she is a tough girl, she survived being bitten by a fox with a broken rib and three broken toes, we thought she would never scratch as she used to hop everywhere but now she is always digging holes to sit in - making up for lost time!

My Araucana lays the most beautiful blue green eggs, and is still a little nervous around me but will still eat out of my hand, she is the largest girl and is a real softie!

My Appenzeller Spitzhauben only started laying today - a tiny white egg at the grand age of 50 and a bit weeks. She is a tad flighty and will only come within a foot of me but is sooo pretty!

If you lot want pics, just let me know! :)

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

:lau

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by