grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA

2. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Oh noooo! Odds are you should have at least 4 pullets. [​IMG] The dark one in upper far left and yellow closest to her look pullet-ish. I love the hairdos!!

3. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California

You know, that was actually exactly the type of info I wanted and what I needed to read. :) I've read lots of reviews of the SLW and a lot of people have said that they are not friendly. Of course others say they are lap chickens, but it seems to be like half and half. They are just so pretty and the chicks are SO CUTE. It's clouding my judgement. ;) Its funny because I was just thinking that if the store had blue EE's, I would probably get one of those instead of the slw. I don't really want to end up with another brown bird (since the orp and the legbar are both brown). I know they do have EE's but I didn't really look at them yesterday. My biggest issue in life is the rooster issue, I have no idea what I would do with one. I'm part of a norcal rare breed poultry group on fb, so maybe I could unload an orp there, but of course we will all be very attached so it would be hard. Ugh. And I totally agree with you about hatchery vs breeder, which is why I was going with breeder stock from the start, lol! :) Problem is that I can't find any brahma breeders in our area, and I don't think Papa's Poultry has theirs right now, and he only has partridge anyway, which again leaves me with another brown bird. Gah!! I don't know what to do. I don't want to introduce a new color in later and have it be picked on, you know? Why is this so hard??? :p The only solution that I can see is moving out of the city so that I can have 857 chickens. Sounds reasonable. :)

4. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Oh yes, completely crazy reasonable! [​IMG]

I forget exactly where you are, but if you are looking for specific chickens try the California - Northern thread. (Not to be confused with the Northern California thread.) Lots of people breeding and hatching or people who know people who breed and hatch. You could probably find what you are looking for. They are having a meet up and people are swapping eggs (no swapping chickens this year because of the avian flu thingy). Sewandgrow's Third Annual "Friends of A Feather" Poultry Party, Turlock CA, May 3rd, 2015 (Chat Thread)

If you want non gold based birds, hatchery BRs or black Australorps are good. I'd try the the Brahma. Pretty much any of the large dual purpose breeds are fairly calm. I'd avoid Delawares (haven't heard good things temperament-wise). Trying to think of other possibilities. Silver Dorkings, if you can find them.

Got to go pick up a kid. Mine take their naps after school! Teenagers! [​IMG]

5. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    We have a backyard "australorp" and she's totally chill. My 3 yo can pick her up. My friendliest hens are the ex-bats I got at an auction. White hens, big brown eggs every day, and they rub on my legs like cats when I'm in the yard.

6. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Well well well. Guess what has appeared in my brooder? :D It is quite the saga that I will save until I'm on my computer, but I have a tiny light brahma and a tiny cuckoo marans, who have been sleeping for about an hour now. Lol. :) I'm in love already!!!

**important question** I watched the brahma poop a normal poop. The marans I have been watching, and I finally saw her poop just now. It's kind of small and foamy, but clear (not yellow or any weird color), just looked like clear foam mostly. Do I need to be worried about this?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I just received a text from my DIL, my grand daughter, Mckenzie will be operated on in tbe morning. A follow up surgery for hydrocephaly. Everyone please say a prayer for her. Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    All my best thoughts headed that way!

9. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California

Thinking of her and your family!

10. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    guys, I am exhausted. pay day . 350 in grub alone. foamy poop is normal . ol mare, you still have that found mutt? congrats to all on the new babies. enola, all the best wishes for a speedy and successful surgery. fighting to keep my eyes open and swap is in the am. you will have to wait til tomorrow to here what granny went and did. but the limit was 6. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by