grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ugg, remember i said i had some seramas sitting ? gs went out today and found a half dead baby in a nest when mama had got off to eat. it was cold and they had scalped it. I put it in a heated towel while we put the brooder back up. took it down yesterday. handed the baby to my dh while i got the cage ready . he handed it back to me dead. [​IMG] funny thing, it wasnt a serama . had heavy feathering on the feet. hmm.. looked like a serama egg.

2. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I had a cream legbar rooster that was mean. orpington are friendly and good layers,polish are a bit dumb but great eye candy, silkie are on the smaller side and get cold easier, wyandottes are good egg layers, friendly and some are eye candy as well. thats about all i got.

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oh, polish and silkie are not great egg layers

4. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Are you wanting pets or eggs? Orpingtons would be good for both. I have some chicks that are half welsummer, and they're pretty and nice.

My polish are super funny. I have six. I'm only keeping three. But they're not as good for eggs. I haven't had any of the others.

Being English you should get speckled sussex! You have access to excellent stock that I don't. :hit

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2
    Purpose would be key in breed selection, especially with the limited number of birds total.
    Orpingtons are great for production and personality.
    Polish are funny birds, fun to have, but not great as layers - the ones I've had were good for maybe 3-4 eggs a week.
    Wyandottes are good on production, but have mixed reviews for personality. The ones I have now are some of my most reliable layers, they are not mean or anything, but are definitely more of "hands off" group than my "in your face" Orps
    Welsummers - I have three now that are coming on 14 weeks, so can't speak to production just yet - they are similar to my Wyandottes as far as personality.
    Silkies, imo, are pretty pointless as anything but a pet or broody - not great on production and I've never really found them all that interesting - they also are the most likely to not fare well in a mixed flock.

6. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    My goals are quite broad, I'm looking for hens that will fit in well with my existing two which are very docile and sweet. I'm mainly wanting them to be pets with personality that are quite pretty. I don't really mind about egg production as long as I have a bit of variety in colours and I have enough that I don't have to buy any and can share a few with friends.

Camping, I really like the look of Speckled Sussex but I have yet to find any breeders - there are only two places within two hours of me that sell pure breeds and neither have them. That's why I quite fancy having an Orpington as I should be able to get good quality birds - I'm not going to show them but I am curious to see how they size up to the American standard. The same goes for cream Legbars but I am less sold on them. I think it's because that I'm down to one egg a day and that egg is green so I'm less sold on the whole blue egg thing - quite frankly I just want some brown eggs again! :)

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have three Legbar hens, they lay well but the eggs are green not blue. I have never owned any of those other breeds.

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    this day is turning horrid. started out really fine. family left except for one refused to go. LOL my chicken boy. I went and knocked on an Amish door that had a garden. walked away broke on my butt with green beans , potatoes and a new ointment for down yonder. love me some natural folk rub. she says " it makes it feel good." [​IMG]GS watched her pull the potatoes and ate a ton of them. My Tom started acting funny. saying his words wrong , making up words, ect.. he was having a stroke. TIA i believe they call them. 2nd one this week. he refused medical help. DR. is getting him some new meds to thin the blood asap. [​IMG] Hoping its covered. Then my sons DR. calls and they tell me his vit.D is low. ordered sunshine for him. He wont go in the sun. D is supposed to be from 30-100 his is 15.1 No wonder he is tired. his platelets slightly high and glucose elevated. . then they call about my DD (sigh) she is in a full blown flair.

9. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    Oh man. Hugs granny. :(

10. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    :hugs Hugs Granny! X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.