grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal

Oh my goodness sounds like such a cutie. I've teased hubs that I want a frizzle chicken at some point so I'll have a pet that properly resembles me (oh curly hair...). Also want a polish for that reason too lol.

Next batch! I second the if I were closer I'd totally road trip to take some off your hands.

2. Dannachic

Dannachic Overrun With Chickens

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    I do remember when i was reading this tread that your chickens were sick..does this stay with them always..

3. Dannachic

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    yep you would think a rooster would have saddle feathers...

4. Dannachic

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    Prostar my hair is curly too more fuzz than curl ..i guess i do look a bit like a frizzle..

5. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    4th of July, we attended hubby's big family reunion that happens every 2 years. And when I say big, I mean 200+ close relatives, and those are the only ones that can make it! Fun to see the youngin's growing and sobering to see the elders getting frail. Mostly it's noisy and crowded, which is no fun for a hermit like me, but at least this year it wasn't hot! [​IMG] We got to see some fireworks on the drive home, but most of them were shooting up into the fog, so saw lots of prettily colored clouds.

Granny, snookered huh? Think the person who sold you the EE knew it was male? Lot of people can't tell. If it's white with burgundy patches on the wings, it's a boy. Although, I did have a certified egg laying hatchery leghorn hen who used to mount and breed the other hens. She was crazy.

6. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Did you ever get a new camera granny? Pictures could help debunk this rooster/hen mystery.

7. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Wishing, 200 ? wow glad we are not related. hehee . happy you are home safe. I missed you !!! Now, tell me. How the devil can you tell roo from color of the wings ? and yes, that is where the color is..... no camera water, It was never a problem of having a camera, its the users manual, they dont know how to write instructions in hillbilly slang. CRD, once positive always a carrier !!! quarantine all new birds well away from yours and if you want to do it right keep some sacrifice birds and add one to your new birds. that way if it get sick you can cull them before its added to your flock and you lose them all. keeping in mind no matter how healthy a chicken seems , it can be a carrier and destroy your whole flock. I have added new birds to my sick flock with nothing happening but i think that may be a bit of good luck. with that being said, CRD is very common. in a healthy flock other wise, it may not effect them at all. This is mostly from my own experience. so take it with a grain of salt. on a side note, #9 is here. (sigh)

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The climate here is definitely no friend of us curly headed types - I tend to frizz quite a bit too, my hair spends a lot of time in buns, especially in the summer. It has gotten better as I have gotten older and learned better how to deal with it - I was the only curly headed girl in our family (got it from my dad) so mom and the sisters were no help with that, lucky DD had me from day #1 so she's had a leg up in managing her own curls.

Generally speaking, with EE if there is dark, patchy red coloration on the wing bows that is a male pattern.
    Not sure I'm set up to deal with Seremas - they are lovely little birds, but would not fair well in my flock of big birds and would likely be quite tormented by my herd of cats -- the big girls scare them, but little ones would look awfully tasty.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    when i was but 12 yrs. my mom gave me a perm, it never went away. when she did something she did it right. for the past 10 yrs. my eyes have been changing color as well. went from dark brown to green/brown. I dont have a lot of curl now , just a few banannas but my boy looks like Shirley Temple.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    do the EE have saddle feathers ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by