Grass for the winter? Winterizing?

If predators cannot get underneath it, that should be fine for them

If digging appears, I would run a few strands of electric wire around the bottom to help deter predators.

Otherwise it should be fine.

A tarp isn't needed as long as they have a place to get away from the elements.

For bedding, try to keep 6 or so inches. Dry shavings/hay/straw mixture is what I use but it doesn't matter as long as you can keep it dry and warm for them

They are protected from predators in the coop. Heavy rocks and cedar logs along the perimeter, and a chain link roofing. It is the wintry drafts I am worried about. They have their little dog house, where they eat but never stay in, other than that under the 10x6 fence tarp area is the only place to get away from elements- but not protected from drafts. Only overhead protection. I am thinking I will wrap the sides of the 10x6 fenced area and fill with a few inches of bedding.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

They are protected from predators in the coop. Heavy rocks and cedar logs along the perimeter, and a chain link roofing. It is the wintry drafts I am worried about. They have their little dog house, where they eat but never stay in, other than that under the 10x6 fence tarp area is the only place to get away from elements- but not protected from drafts. Only overhead protection. I am thinking I will wrap the sides of the 10x6 fenced area and fill with a few inches of bedding.
Thanks for the feedback! :)
Sounds like a good plan.

If they have the dog house they are fine ducks can stand 22 below
Humm wonder who did that experiment? They might can take 22 below but I doubt they'd be standing in it.
wink.png

Ducks do fair well in cold mine would rather sit out in snow and rain but, when play times over their ready for their run with dry shavings. My ducks seem to bed down or use their houses when it's 20-10 f or high winds they don't like wind. I believe ducks are like us they adapt to their climate so a va duck like mine might not do as well in temps of colder climates. I have heavy duty tarps on top and sides for those windy winter days plus it keeps their bedding dry. If you do go with top tarp make sure snow want collapse your overhead setup.

What do you all do when the ducks stay inside the duck house or Coop /doghouse at night?! because they poop so much!! do you have straw in there. How often do you clean that out? Daily? how do you keep it clean. That is what is damp! all the Pee and poop!! What are your suggestions

What do you all do when the ducks stay inside the duck house or Coop /doghouse at night?! because they poop so much!! do you have straw in there. How often do you clean that out? Daily? how do you keep it clean. That is what is damp! all the Pee and poop!! What are your suggestions
Deep litter, and pine shaving I have found are the best, it absorbs a lot of the moisture and I just go in and scoop up the poop on top and fluff the shaving and add new shaving when needed. I keep around 10" of shaving going and let it get down to about half that before adding more.

Can you please define what deep litter means. I do use the pine shavings I agree that works well
I first heard about deep litter years ago before I even got a computer and after finally getting one found this link, it is very helpful in understanding the basics behind the method. http://www.plamondon.com/faq_deep_litter.html

And if you Type in Deep Litter in the search box on BYC you'll see a lot of links that also speak about it.
I found out by shear trial and error that with all poultry deep litter just works better. And is much healthier for our flocks too. I never clean out all my litter though since it's full of little microbes that help get the new going. Some do.

Back
Top Bottom