Great Laying Breeds?

MuckBucket

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
Tucson
Please help me with your suggestions of great laying breeds to bring into my feed store for the customers looking for a good layer that is heat tolerant. Your suggestions would help a lot with what to order this fall.
Thanks!

White egg breeds (these breeds to very well in the heat with their slender bodies and large combs): White Leghorns, Brown Leghorns, Anconas, Minorcas.

Brown egg breeds: Rhode Island Reds and Red Sexlinks (aka Golden Comets, Golden Sexlinks, Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens, ISA Brown, etc).

These are all great laying breeds that are relatively heat hardy.
smile.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know much about Welsummers?

I have had the Minorcas and Leghorns in the past but not the Anconas, I will look into those. I have had black sexlinks but not red sexlinks, and of course our most requested are the Rhodies they are very popular here for whatever reason.

The only birds I have still laying right now (most have quit due to heat, chicks, or broodiness) are my Barred Rocks and White Leghorn. They still crank out an egg almost every day. One of my EE's is laying but she doesn't lay quite as religiously as the BR and WL.

ETA: My Marans are also laying but they only lay 4-5 eggs per hen per week. The BR and WL lay 6-7 eggs a week each.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cause they're such a great breed! They're my top favorite brown egg breed for being reliable layers.
smile.png

Other great brown egg laying breeds are Barred Rocks, Black Sexlinks, and Black Australorps. They'll do well in the heat to, as long as there's plenty of shade (since they're black chickens).

Welsummers are not especially good layers. They'll lay about 160 eggs/year, compared to about 250/year for a Rhode Island Red or 280/year for a White Leghorn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom