Green Egg Envy: Our attempts at breeding our own olive eggers!

The one in the picture is the one that laid. Her sister from the same hen and rooster is my profile picture. She hasn't laid yet but is squatting. I was told Ameracauna... Hmmmmm...we shall see what color comes next.
Quote: Many many people call Easter eggers Ameraucana or Araucana which is simply not correct. You can even buy them from Hatcheries as Ameraucanas but they are in fact a cross bred bird. I have even seen hatcheries who sell Americanas or Aracanas by changing the spelling to fool people.
All in all if you want a bird that lays a certain colored egg and don't plan to breed it or sell it as a pure bred bird it is just fine. Who really cares as long as you are happy and getting the eggs you want?
But for the sake of argument. In order to get certain colors and certain traits, professional breeders often breed another chicken breed to the one they desire and cull and choose for many generations until they produce the right body shape, comb, size, feet, legs, and other features so it is a true representation of the breed they want. When it meets the standard of perfection and has all the proper traits it can then be called that desired breed.
I had a real hard time grasping that in my own head for a long time. But that is how new things are made.

She laid again!!!!!

Many many people call Easter eggers  Ameraucana or Araucana which is simply not correct. You can even buy them from Hatcheries as Ameraucanas but they are in fact a cross bred bird. I have even seen hatcheries who sell Americanas or Aracanas by changing the spelling to fool people.
All in all if you want a bird that lays a certain colored egg and don't plan to breed it or sell it as a pure bred bird it is just fine. Who really cares as long as you are happy and getting the eggs you want?
But for the sake of argument. In order to get certain colors and certain traits, professional breeders often breed another chicken breed to the one they desire and cull and choose for many generations until they produce the right body shape, comb, size, feet, legs, and other features so it is a true representation of the breed they want. When it meets the standard of perfection and has all the proper traits it can then be called that desired breed.
I had a real hard time grasping that in my own head for a long time. But that is how new things are made.
She laid again!!!!!

quote name="chicken danz" url="/t/1065318/green-egg-envy-our-attempts-at-breeding-our-own-olive-eggers/30#post_16289207"]Many many people call Easter eggers  Ameraucana or Araucana which is simply not correct. You can even buy them from Hatcheries as Ameraucanas but they are in fact a cross bred bird. I have even seen hatcheries who sell Americanas or Aracanas by changing the spelling to fool people.
[/quote]

No they aren't....we know that for a fact :) She was isolated when she laid both :) <3 The greener was her "first" egg and we found that on Christmas morning. She was isolated because I was concerned with a blood blister on her butt. I think was from straining. The blister is gone and then she laid this one! <3

Quote: Apparently I most likely will not be making "olive eggers" but a "green easter egger". And I'm totally O.K. with that! I can't wait to see the different shades that are produced! I just want green eggs, and though dark would be nice, I'm ok with a variety of shades!
You just never know how the genes are going to line up.
jumpy.gif
I made some olive eggers on purpose, cream legbar X marans and welsumers. Then I had a mixed breed hen who lays pinkish eggs go broody and hatch some eggs. Her daughter is laying now and I'm getting some really pretty olive eggs from her. Before seeing them I would have guessed minty green.

I'm having the best time with these girls!!! My beautiful ladies are laying some fun colors! Akira laid her FIRST Egg yesterday it is small like a leghorn egg. It was so olive green I was shocked! Look at the difference!

Her sister laid the one next to it and this one as well th day before...

Does anyone else notice the color change once washed and refrigerated!?

My barred rock was sold to us as a cuckoo Maran... That was a disappointment.. But she is a preclusion daily pink brown egg layer!

This girl laid the dark green baby egg !!!

The man who sold us SIA Here the dark girl, said she lays bright blue eggs and never seen a green from her, she hasn't laid since we got her in October... :/
She's still gorgeous. None of his RIR have laid either. The only ones laying are mine that just turned 6-8 mths.

Any input???

I'm having the best time with these girls!!! My beautiful ladies are laying some fun colors! Akira laid her FIRST Egg yesterday it is small like a leghorn egg. It was so olive green I was shocked! Look at the difference!

Her sister laid the one next to it and this one as well th day before...

Does anyone else notice the color change once washed and refrigerated!?

The man who sold us SIA Here the dark girl, said she lays bright blue eggs and never seen a green from her, she hasn't laid since we got her in October...
hmm.png

She's still gorgeous. None of his RIR have laid either. The only ones laying are mine that just turned 6-8 mths.
It's probably the combination of the time of year and the move. Give them some time. The days are going to get longer and they will start laying again. The other option is to put a light on a timer to come on very early morning and shut off after it is actually light out. Do you know how old the chickens are? Theres always a chance they are too old to lay.

Any input???

So exciting! Getting five eggs a day now! I guess my ladies are a greenish layer! I still have four four mint holds up and coming supposedly pure Ameracauna. And the previous picture SIA. She hasn't laid yet! B

Eggs are dropping hot now!

quote name="PhxChickens" url="/t/1065318/green-egg-envy-our-attempts-at-breeding-our-own-olive-eggers/30#post_16315606"]Following your journey :)
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom