Green Egg Envy: Our attempts at breeding our own olive eggers!

Good luck veny! I really want a serama that layed blueish eggs! Crazy right! But, I think that would be really cool.

frow.gif
bun.gif
highfive.gif

pop.gif

@canadachickens

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what the chicks look like and eventually, the eggs! Good luck with your new project.
Thanks! I am excited and really thankful that my pops is letting me do a breeding project with his chickens.
yesss.gif
He's so nice
hugs.gif

Good luck veny! I really want a serama that layed blueish eggs! Crazy right! But, I think that would be really cool.
That would be soooo cool! Like little Robin eggs! I would so buy one. Are there any blue egger banties?!?!

Hello to you too Sally!
frow.gif

I'm curious now too... will enjoy seeing how your experiment turns out... :)

Oh, and just an fyi... there have been many projects for Cuckoo/Barred Araucanas throughout the years... Gary Ramey and Ann Charles were both working on them in the past and Lanae Cash had bantam ones as well... I don't know if Ann is still working on those, but she is working on Mottled and Lisa Helms had some Mottled hatch out in hers... there's also Lavender projects going on as well, so there are the possibilities of all ranges of Araucanas and at many different points of quality...

I think you have a lovely young cockerel and I hope he helps you achieve your goal, as that is what matters...

And yes, there are bantam blue eggers... I have bantam Araucanas in fact... :)

Left is bantam Araucana, right is Ameraucana pullet...

You could actually do that but it would take some time. You could breed a bantam araucana which are quite small, to a Serama. The first generation should produce a blue egg layer. At any rate you could continue breeding back each generations offspring of blue egg layers to a Serama rooster until you got the true Serama type with the blue egg laying gene. It would probably take several generations.
Another way to do it would be to start with a cream legbar which would be a better body type, but you'd have to keep breeding the smallest off spring until you got the Serama size back. At any rate it would take several generations to get the right body size and traits. But it could be a fun project if you have the time.

I just got my first egg from what I thought was an Ameracauna! She delivered on Christmas Day!
Does this mean she is an Olive Egger? And when will she lay again!!!?
[/IMG][/IMG]!
I have always wanted a colorful egg basket. While white, brown, and even blue egg layers are available in my area.​
BUT, green eggs are not. And since I would love them to accent my color basket, I thought,​
"why not breed them myself?"​
This will be my notes, thoughts and results page, so feel free to follow and chime in while I have a fun backyard experiment!​

Last edited:
You could actually do that but it would take some time. You could breed a bantam araucana which are quite small, to a Serama. The first generation should produce a blue egg layer. At any rate you could continue breeding back each generations offspring of blue egg layers to a Serama rooster until you got the true Serama type with the blue egg laying gene. It would probably take several generations.
Another way to do it would be to start with a cream legbar which would be a better body type, but you'd have to keep breeding the smallest off spring until you got the Serama size back. At any rate it would take several generations to get the right body size and traits. But it could be a fun project if you have the time.

I think it would be really fun! Now I have to find some adult EE or cream leg at for sale to start. I have a hen that is very extreme, would she be good to start with, because she might make her babies more serama like?

Thanks!  I am excited and really thankful that my pops is letting me do a breeding project with his chickens. :yesss:   He's so nice :hugs

That would be soooo cool!  Like little Robin eggs!  I would so buy one.  Are there any blue egger banties?!?!

Hello to you too Sally! :frow

Thanks! I think it would be really awesome. There isn't a specific egg color that seramas need to follow anyways. Then I can have a colorful egg basket.

The one in the picture is the one that laid. Her sister from the same hen and rooster is my profile picture. She hasn't laid yet but is squatting. I was told Ameracauna... Hmmmmm...we shall see what color comes next.
Your hen is an easter egger. But yes it looks from the picture like you do in fact have an Olive egg layer

Back
Top Bottom