Growths on beaks of month old Silkies. What could it be?

SA Silkie mom

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2022
Hi everyone,

Our Silkies are a month old and we recently noticed some of them have growths on their beaks. I've tried to search online, but can't seem to find what it is.

They seem to be eating/drinking OK, but since we're not experienced with chicken disease we want to learn whether there are things we can do to help them.

We have 14 one-month-olds and 4 of them seem to have some growth, though the photos included are the most prominent.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221-202013_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-202013_Photos.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20221221-202049_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-202049_Photos.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 9
Hi @MysteryChicken, thanks so much for the super speedy message. I'll need to go read up on fowl pox... I hope it won't hurt them.
You're welcome.

There's 2 forms, dry pox, & wet pox.

Dry pox is what your's look to have, which is good.

Wet pox can have complications due to it gunking up the throat, & airways sometimes.

That does look like fowl pox lesions in very young chickens. Sometimes they will interfere with breathing through nostrils or seeing. Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes. It lasts about a month. Some paint the scabs with Betadine to help them dry up, but otherwise do not disturb the scabs as that can spread the virus. Make sure they keep eating and drinking. There is a pox vaccine available for older pullets for those not yet exposed.

Back
Top Bottom