Guineas screaming up a storm at midnight???

Mine screamed on and off last year at night. I can’t recall hearing them at all this year...
I know nothing can get in their coop, but assume they are hearing night time predators.
My kids woke me up in the middle of the night earlier this summer to a “scary” noise outside. Turned out to be an owl. Lol We’ve lived here since they were toddlers, but it was their first time hearing an owl.
Im sure the guineas might get upset hearing them or hearing the coyotes sound off. There have been a lot of them around this year.
They crack us up when they go off at thunder. It kind of sounds like maniacal laughter.
The coyotes here, not always, but USUALLY stay out of sight until Fall, then start the bone chilling howls. I guess the goons know to be quiet as they did when the raccoons were around, Bc they don't nake a sound.

If they are alarm calling in the middle of the night then something is bothering them. Could be rodents, owls, or other predators. Mine make noise on and off all night. Cooing and the buckwheat calls sometimes but the only time they alarm call is when something is actually wrong. If you read other posts of mine you know we've been battling a mink. There have been no break ins in a little over a month but I definitely know when he's outside the cage. The hubby and I head out with the shot gun but have yet to get a shot. We have reinforced everything on the cage top to bottom. I have three game cameras on their cage and we keep a flood light on now. There's definitely less alarm calling with the light and it does not seem to keep them up. They seem to prefer it. I feel like the light helps to keep the mink at bay. It definitely keeps the Great Horned Owl away. It used to perch every night above the cage at some point and they scream their heads off till I would tromp out there looking like Sigourney Weaver headed for the queen and it would fly off.
Did I mention I don't sleep? :he :lol::lol::lol:

During the spring, our guineas went through a period where they kept waking up and making a lot of noise at night. I would go out and look but couldn’t find anything. A game camera showed the basic wildlife we have, including deer that likes to walk by there at night. I think that the guineas were just a bit freaked out by the season change and changes in our normal night time noises. After about a month they calmed back down and just occasionally alert at night. I also put a night light out for them, mostly in case another snake gets in the coop, but I think it might also help them feel more secure when they hear noise.

Mine screamed on and off last year at night. I can’t recall hearing them at all this year...
I know nothing can get in their coop, but assume they are hearing night time predators.
My kids woke me up in the middle of the night earlier this summer to a “scary” noise outside. Turned out to be an owl. Lol We’ve lived here since they were toddlers, but it was their first time hearing an owl.
Im sure the guineas might get upset hearing them or hearing the coyotes sound off. There have been a lot of them around this year.

Back
Top Bottom