Gun lovers - SKS?

Have 2 SKSs, one a Chinaman (Norinco) version with synthetic stock. The other a Yugo all wood complete with folding bayonet.

Cost under $500.

Actually I didn't pay one red cent for mine, both were hand me downs.

What I like about the SKS is the cost of the ammunition 7.62X39. Just this last Christmas Cabela's had it on sale $2.99 for 20 round box (jacketed hollow points). That's the equivalent of $150 per 1000 rounds.

An extended 20 round magazine brand named Tapcon, can be purchased and fitted to the SKS, but I haven't heard very many people being happy with it. The Norinco shoots pretty straight or as straight as I can see, never shot the Yugo. The SKS is heavy, accuracy does vary widely, so if you get one that shoots straight keep it. Also a word of caution the SKS has a floating firing pin, if the rifle is allowed to get dirty the firing pin can stick, causing the rifle to go off when the bolt closes.

Now if you are after a cheap high powered rifle, try a Russian Moisant Nagant (bolt action, verses auto load for the SKS). You can still buy them for $100. I picked one up from Cabela's last month, purchased the rifle for $99.99 + tax. Cabela's then gave me a $25 gift card that I redeemed for ammunition. So for $100 I got a Moisant Nagant rifle caliber 7.62X54r, two 20 round boxes of ammo, plus one 20 round box of 7.62X39, with 51 cents left over.

Haven't given it a try yet, but it is suppose to be a big time fire breather.

Quote:
I'd love an AK-47, but it's tough to get my dad sold on it. I have no idea why. Actually, AKs are a little more expensive than the SKS, plus, I think he likes the fact that you can get away with having a bayonet on the SKS.
lol.png
My intention, therefore, is to save up my own cash for an AK. Which might take a while, seeing as they usually go for $500...

Here is an AK-47 for $389 buy it now http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190777341 And it looks like it has a bayo
tongue.png

Holy $&*^ that gun is gorgeous. I'm roughly... $269 short of what's needed, sadly.
lol.png
Thanks for alerting me to the E-Bay of super-lethality, though.
lol.png
Funds and permission are difficult to obtain at my age, which I will not state per the rules.
tongue.png
An overload of school work doesn't help.
roll.png

Last edited:
you can get SKS rifle for under 150 bucks if you are willing to get older used ones. They are reliable,shoot a round that is readily available.Look in shotgun news or online .Older ones shhot great so no need to get a perfect condition one. Good luck

Okay, overall impression I'm getting is that the SKS is cheap to buy and shoot, reliable, and average accuracy. Not to be used as a sniping weapon under any circumstances.

Is that about right? If so, sounds just about ideal.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I wish I had a US made (reliable) long gun that was semi auto
sad.png
I'd love to find me a nice M1 to play with though

Quote:
I wish I had a US made (reliable) long gun that was semi auto
sad.png
I'd love to find me a nice M1 to play with though

big_smile.png

My brother in law did some work for Springfield armory... Got to shoot a variety of goods, and brought home a shiny new M1A SOCOM II.... So I got to shoot it.. What a blast.. Especially with the stock folded up...

Now that is a fun toy.
wink.png

-----
Me personally, am more of a utility person.. My Browining BAR in 308 with a very high end scope, for the deer stand, and my H&K 40 SW in the night stand, with my Ruger 454 casull in case I am charged by a rino in wisconsin..
lol.png
.. and on the wish list is a Barrett M82 in 50 cal for those 2000 yard targets..and a AR-15 by DPMS
big_smile.png

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

Sorry got a little carried away.
----
Q9 get what you can afford now and upgrade later.. Have some fun punching holes in paper!! Remember you get what you pay for.. If your life depends on the gun. I would not get a cheap semi auto.

ON

Back
Top Bottom