Gun lovers - SKS?

The reason an SKS/ AK is so realiable is because they are so loose fitting, sand and mud in the bolt isn't a major factor because it doesn't matter. The problem the OP posted about in the first M-16 was because of.... the change in the powder from the prototype to the issue weapon, the lack of a chrome lined chamber, lack of training in the cleaning of the weapon. Once those were corrected (at the loss of who knows how many lives) the M-16 became one of the top assult rifles.

I would buy a ruger mini 14 in either 5.56 or in 7.62x 39 if you don't care that much about accuracy. The action of the mini 14 is based in the M-14. I have one in 5.56 but don't shoot it much because of the accuracy. My plinker is a Colt match HBAR

A US made reliable "long gun" is the M1-A , 7.62x51 AKA .308, google Springfield Armory. When I was going thru jungle warfare school an old crusty Marine Gunny threw an M-16 in a mud hole and jumped up and down on it. Pulling it out and trying to fire it full auto it would shoot one round only, that same thing was done to an M-14 and it shot a full 30 round mag full auto without a hicup. On the rifle team we shot the M-14 at 1000 yards that speaks for it's accuracy.

Steve

Last edited:
Quote:
I can't imagine rock and rolling with a .308 on my shoulder though. Ouch!

I own a Norinco SKS that I bought in the early 90's for 78 bucks out the door. I also have a 1979 Romanian AK-47 that I built up from a parts kit, a Hungarian AMD-65 that I also built up from a parts kit and a Bulgarian AK-74. I just love the AK-74. Fairly light. Flawless operation, accurate to 300 meters easily and hardly any recoil. Picked up a 1000 rounds of 5.45X39 from Sportmans Guide for about 145 bucks delivered (had a coupon). The rounds are Russian and are corrosive so I have to give the rifle a very good cleaning when I get done shooting, but it's worth all the fun I have with it.

Here's a pic of my comblock collection so far. Left to right... SKS, AM-65, Romy AK-47, Bulgarian AK-74 and Russian Mosin Nagant rifle.

Ak-74007-1.jpg

Quote:
I wish I had a US made (reliable) long gun that was semi auto
sad.png
I'd love to find me a nice M1 to play with though

Now is you talking about a M-1 Garand or a M-1 30 caliber carbine?

I have a M-1 carbine. Fun to shoot but under powered for even deer.

Garands are great, but you better have a butt pocket full of money if you thinking of trying to buy one.

Quote:
sad.png

Now is you talking about a M-1 Garand or a M-1 30 caliber carbine?

I have a M-1 carbine. Fun to shoot but under powered for even deer.

Garands are great, but you better have a butt pocket full of money if you thinking of trying to buy one.

Garand.. sorry should have specified
smile.png

Quote:
sad.png

big_smile.png

My brother in law did some work for Springfield armory... Got to shoot a variety of goods, and brought home a shiny new M1A SOCOM II.... So I got to shoot it.. What a blast.. Especially with the stock folded up...

Now that is a fun toy.
wink.png

-----
Me personally, am more of a utility person.. My Browining BAR in 308 with a very high end scope, for the deer stand, and my H&K 40 SW in the night stand, with my Ruger 454 casull in case I am charged by a rino in wisconsin..
lol.png
.. and on the wish list is a Barrett M82 in 50 cal for those 2000 yard targets..and a AR-15 by DPMS
big_smile.png

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

Sorry got a little carried away.
----
Q9 get what you can afford now and upgrade later.. Have some fun punching holes in paper!! Remember you get what you pay for.. If your life depends on the gun. I would not get a cheap semi auto.

ON

Well, the fact that the SKS is originally from Soviet Russia implies that it's reliable and powerful.
lol.png
Isn't it odd? The only things the USSR could effectively mass-produce were corpses, vodka, and great guns. Still working to convince Dad that an AK is the route we want to go.
wink.png
The SKS looks like it would be a good first step to upgrading our semi-auto rifle arsenal from a single 12-shot tube-fed .22. Great gun, just very little killing power.
wink.png

If I had one gun as my absolute only gun to have to survive it would without a doubt be my FAL. It's heavy and shoots .308 but it is without a doubt my most dependable firearm. Go to Falfiles.com to read about an FAL that has in excess of 10,000 rounds through it without a cleaning.

My next one would be my SKS. They are not necessarily the most accurate of guns but they are very dependable. Unfortunately they tend to be hit or miss when it comes to accuracy because some have had a lot of rounds put through them.

ARs are fine but they can be picky and don't necessarily handle dirt and grime all that well.

I bought a Russian SKS back when they were $99.

The first deer I killed with a rifle was with a single shot from my SKS. (still had the bayonet on it)
wink.png
Ballistically, it's a fine deer gun. The fixed sights and horrendous trigger pull made it short lived in my 'hunting' arsenal tho'.

It was fun to shoot and you couldn't beat the price. That trigger though... it was bad!

Back
Top Bottom