Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
@MGG I missed this whole thread after joining from the beginning. :hit I just read the entire thread now. Sorry I missed out on your adventure.
When I have accidentally opened a safety hole before they internally pipped at the end, they have always died. If you ever try this again I'd peel the membrane off of the beak on day 17 so it can air breathe. When I've done this if I safety opened too early they had a better chance of making it. There is always some blood I have to dry off.
Your chicks that lived are Gorgeous! :love

@MGG I missed this whole thread after joining from the beginning. :hit I just read the entire thread now. Sorry I missed out on your adventure.
When I have accidentally opened a safety hole before they internally pipped at the end, they have always died. If you ever try this again I'd peel the membrane off of the beak on day 17 so it can air breathe. When I've done this if I safety opened too early they had a better chance of making it. There is always some blood I have to dry off.
Your chicks that lived are Gorgeous! :love
Haha, it turned out to be a pretty long thread. It was definitely a tough experiment, I do wanted it to work. I would like to try it again sometime, I'm going to be hatching quite a few bobwhites in the coming weeks so maybe I'll try it on one of them. I'll make sure to peel the membrane off. That's a good idea. Thanks! The chicks are so big, they're adorable. I set up a mhp for the first time to try with these chicks, and so far I'm loving it. They're feathering out so nicely.

Hi again everyone! I'm ressurecting this thread. I'm going to try again! I think I can fix everything that went wrong last time. I have a new very reliable incubator, and no other eggs in it except the 2 I'm going to do so I can put in a carton and turn them. I really want this to work. I got so close with ET last time. If these don't make it I probably won't try again, I don't want to do this at the expense of them. But I think it can work this time. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have 2 eggs in the incubator on day 2, and both are developing. The blood island is visible. If I open the air cell and, can I peel off the air cell membrane some how? Because that will restrict the visibility.
@FortCluck @MysteryChicken @CluckNDoodle @SnapdragonQ @TheOddOneOut @WVduckchick @JaeG @Crestcrazy2 @BirdsBeesTrees @AltonaAcres @Egg Snatcher
I think I got everyone, but I'm sorry if I missed anyone!

Hi again everyone! I'm ressurecting this thread. I'm going to try again! I think I can fix everything that went wrong last time. I have a new very reliable incubator, and no other eggs in it except the 2 I'm going to do so I can put in a carton and turn them. I really want this to work. I got so close with ET last time. If these don't make it I probably won't try again, I don't want to do this at the expense of them. But I think it can work this time. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have 2 eggs in the incubator on day 2, and both are developing. The blood island is visible. If I open the air cell and, can I peel off the air cell membrane some how? Because that will restrict the visibility.
@FortCluck @MysteryChicken @CluckNDoodle @SnapdragonQ @TheOddOneOut @WVduckchick @JaeG @Crestcrazy2 @BirdsBeesTrees @AltonaAcres @Egg Snatcher
I’m so excited!! I really hope it works out this time!

I’m excited! I hope s/he makes it!!!

I might join you but do a full shell-less go at it, the whole chick-in-a-cup thing. :p My junglefowl was too far along the last time to try. Haha.
I have quail eggs coming and they usually send extras, and those guys are small enough I should be able to fit a smaller cup in the incubator then. :p It’ll be similar, just in a different vessel. :)

Back
Top Bottom