Halloween Hatch-A-Long 2017

Pics
Help please
I am on day 15 and my EE is very full, not much air space fir how long I have to go yet.
The eggs are small and very, very hard shell and membrane, I can drop them and they will crack but not leak anything.
The last hatch I lost them all, and they had absorbed the egg sack.
do I assist, and how early.
thanks for the help

No, it's too early to help. Wait and see how it is going after lockdown and hatch date.

Hello! I am on day 21 of my hatch....so far we have 7 silver duckwinged yokohamma's and 1 Buckeye. There are 3 more buckeye left to hatch (2 have pipped), 1 buff orpington (not pipped) and 2 mixed breeds/cornish cross breed. (not pipped), 1 silver duckwinged yokohamma (pipped). I was having some low temp fluctations on this hatch so I will not be surprised if this hatch takes a few extra days.

As soon as this hatch is over I will be cleaning/disinfecting as I have another group of 18 or so Buff Orpington Eggs to set. (They are my daughters favorite breed and they are so docile....so Mom caves pretty easily.) :love

Good luck with this hatch and the next one!

So today was hotter than usual, so I checked the temp in my bator. It was at 101.9 solid on all my thermometers. Will that harm my eggs?

No, they should be ok, I wouldn't want them much hotter than that though. Is the sun hitting the incubator?

Are eggs fertilized by a young roo ( buff Orpington) safe to hatch without any negative side affects ?

As far as I know they should be fine.

Good luck with this hatch and the next one!

No, they should be ok, I wouldn't want them much hotter than that though. Is the sun hitting the incubator?

As far as I know they should be fine.
No they are out of the sun, but I live in an older home made out of plaster, and no air conditioning system running through the house. So we are fine when it's cold, but whenever the weather is too hot, the house warms up. I have a portable AC, but I don't put it in the room I have my incubator, as to not make it to drafty. It hasn't been as hot as yesterday in awhile.

So, I've been trying to find out more about whether you can see the bullseye around the germal disk after the eggs have been incubated and this is what I've found so far, they are not peer reviewed scientific articles, but:

ThePoultrySite.com: "Fertility can also be assessed in eggs candled clear between 10 and 14 days of incubation. It is not advisable to try and assess fertility on eggs candled any later than this because post mortem degeneration of the embryo makes it difficult to distinguish infertile eggs from those with very early embryonic development." (THIS ONE HAS PICTURES!!!)

MotherEarthNews: "When cracked open upon completion of incubation, you can see by close visual inspection that these nonviable eggs were fertile and became nonviable from exposure to extreme conditions."

MyPetChicken:"It is not possible to see the fertilized blastodisc, or blastoderm, on the yolk of the egg after 21 days of incubation, as it will have deteriorated by then."

FinchInfo.com: "In most cases, early embryonic death cannot be visualized by candling of the egg. Instead, an egg necropsy should be performed to determine if the egg was infertile or if it in fact suffered from early embryonic death. The presence of a white blastodisc is indicative of an infertile egg, whereas the presence of a blastoderm and/or a blood ring (as pictured to the right) is indicative of early embryonic death. Your avian veterinarian should be able to perform the necropsy at your request." (finch eggs, so different species)

I think I'm going to assume after reading a couple articles that you CAN indeed tell if a egg was fertilized after it has been incubated, as long as it is less than 14 days incubation. (Sorry Mother Earth News:rolleyes:) Since my eggs were under 14 days incubation, I'm pretty confident in my assessment that the three were indeed infertile, and the fourth probably was fertile.
@mlm Mike @BantyChooks @WVduckchick @Farmer Connie what do you guys think?

Nice references! Reputable sources, I think. I tend to agree with your assumption now. I haven't really checked any in a while because I know incubation can spread the germinal disc (fertile or not), making it hard to tell the difference, but I guess if you see enough of them, you can actually tell the difference.

Thanks for all the research!

Darnit, I just tossed a bunch of eggs that I've removed over the last few weeks. (trash day, lol!) Wonder if I could have made any assessments from them, since I removed them some time ago, but they were probably removed within the 7-14 day period.

I got tired of hand turning my eggs and had a brainstorm!
I grabbed our old record player and placed the incubator dead center middle and plugged it in.
I know what you are thinking! No worries, It's on 33-1/3 speed (long play).
I am good until candling now.
HALLOWEEN-HATCH-A-LONG-2017.gif

I got tired of hand turning my eggs and had a brainstorm!
I grabbed our old record player and placed the incubator dead center middle and plugged it in.
I know what you are thinking! No worries, It's on 33-1/3 speed (long play).
I am good until candling now.
View attachment 1162802

What kind of incubator?
I'm sorry, I'm having a blonde moment, I guess. I don't understand how that turns the eggs. :oops:

What kind of incubator?
I'm sorry, I'm having a blonde moment, I guess. I don't understand how that turns the eggs. :oops:
I guess you don't know me so well.. perhaps that is a good thing? Or maybe not.. hehe..
Halloween = Trick or Treat.. Not all tricks.. not all treats.. It's kinda like April Fools Day with candy and monsters..
Nice to meet you @WVduckchick , I am Connie Jane.. Just spreading the tricks and the treats!
zzzzzz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom