Hanging cabbages

i use a sunflower shaped wild bird suet cage with large holes clipped low onto the wire of run with a carabeaner for cabbage fruit lettuce etc.......it's a nice decoration up high while not in use too
smile.png

Thanks for the pix! Can you tell us how you got such a perfect core through the cabbage?
I had bought an alfalfa net not realizing how big the holes were. FAIL! I ended up getting a bale of alfalfa from my neighbor and hanging it rather than figuring out how to hang cabbage. They were so terrified of the alfalfa that I ended up hanging it super high and then lowering it a few inches each day until they were used to it. That said, I have picky girls who really don't eat what my previous flocks ate. Not much interest in the alfalfa. They hate all fruits and begin wiping their beaks as soon as I offer it. They don't even touch my garden other than to pick weeds! Their favorite thing is black oil sunflower seeds which they go crazy over. Today I discovered that a cup full of compost that is full of black soldier fly larvae is an excellent treat and the price is right. I hope that's okay!

Thanks for posting this; just what I needed to know, too! Someone just tying a string around it didn't seem right... :)

I call this "chicken cabbage tetherball" and it keeps the girls (and the bunny) busy in the winter. Photos here:
http://hencam.com/faq/pecking-order/
One other way to hang greens is to nail a wild bird suet feeder to the wall of the coop. It holds leafy greens and apples etc. The treats stay tidy and clean, it takes the hens longer to feed from it, which keeps them out of trouble. I have photos here: http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

BTW, I've seen no difference in egg flavor when the hens eat cabbage - but if you feed them a purple one, be prepared for some colorful manure!

I know I am chiming in on a really old thread. I tried this today with great success! I just got a relatively large screw eye and screwed it right into the core, and hung it from the rafters. The chickens made very short work of it. They love the cabbage! It makes me realize that this is probably not a bad way to get rid of a body.

Not that I'd ever do that. I swear.

I'm so glad it worked for you..cabbage in the run for my girls just hung there for about 5 days and turned brown...
hu.gif
They don't like change very much..was something new that just wasn't going to excite them. I wish they were a bit more adventurous. If I give them some new food, they look at it and shake their heads. Takes about 3 days for them to decided if it is something they like or not. Yay for you and your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom