Hardware cloth is so off! Is this normal? Wow please advise!

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
So I have a quick question.
Bought Everbilt galvanized hardware cloth from Home Depot.
4 ft x 25 foot rolls. 1/2 inch.

It’s not straight. It curves slightly when you roll it out down the driveway. Like it’s cut weird or something Or made off completely. It’s not square, at all. When they staple it to one 4x4 post then try to staple it to the post just 4 feet away (or 3.5 ft away or whatever obviously he is leaving room for overlap of the next section the posts are not too far apart etc. ) it doesn’t measure out. And the last post section near the bottom. There is barely enough to fasten to the post there. And it’s at a slant that it’s doing this!! um a big one. Sure they can measure back maybe an inch or two but then there will be rolls and waves in that wall section.

The first section of the run roof 10 ft across by roughly 4 ft wide now has rolls and waves in it even tho they measured it 3 times before tacking it up. And placed zip ties to show what should have happened but didn’t come close.

Down the side posts it’s totally uneven where attached and at an angle.

What are we missing? Is this normal all hardware cloth is totally not straight at all and a PITA??

Tips for getting this cloth straight and taught greatly appreciated!!

What would you do here????

So I have a quick question.
Bought Everbilt galvanized hardware cloth from Home Depot.
4 ft x 25 foot rolls. 1/2 inch.

It’s not straight. It curves slightly when you roll it out down the driveway. Like it’s cut weird or something Or made off completely. It’s not square, at all. When they staple it to one 4x4 post then try to staple it to the post just 4 feet away (or 3.5 ft away or whatever obviously he is leaving room for overlap of the next section the posts are not too far apart etc. ) it doesn’t measure out. And the last post section near the bottom. There is barely enough to fasten to the post there. And it’s at a slant that it’s doing this!! um a big one. Sure they can measure back maybe an inch or two but then there will be rolls and waves in that wall section.

The first section of the run roof 10 ft across by roughly 4 ft wide now has rolls and waves in it even tho they measured it 3 times before tacking it up. And placed zip ties to show what should have happened but didn’t come close.

Down the side posts it’s totally uneven where attached and at an angle.

What are we missing? Is this normal all hardware cloth is totally not straight at all and a PITA??

Tips for getting this cloth straight and taught greatly appreciated!!

What would you do here????
It did appear to be stretched or flared out along the edges which caused it to not lay flat. I used multiple staples trying to get it to lay flat.My coop & run was built like Fort Knox. I didn't particularly care what it looked like as long as it kept predators out.
You can hide the flawed edges that cause the ripples by securing furring strips over the edges.

Is this normal all hardware cloth is totally not straight at all

Yes, this is very common.

It's helpful to work in shorter lengths if possible. You can either try to spread the ripples across the entire distance evenly -- like easing a sleeve head into an armhole when sewing -- or you can try to move it all to the least conspicuous end then fold the excess over itself and hammer it flat.

Haven't seen a truly quality roll of wire of any type since it's primary manufacturing was moved to China.

What year was that? Where in the US was it made before?

One of the things that bugged me about 1/2 inch Hw cloth was the top and bottom of the roll wasn't cut clean so there were sharps on 4 sides.
1/4 inch cloth is at least cut clean top and bottom.

Back
Top Bottom