Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Well, when I went out to feed my girls last night, there was this hen sitting in one of the nesting boxes looking real intent on staying there and didn't come out to get the evening treat. I'm thinking that she might be broody. She's only 30 weeks old and I'm thinking this might be a passing fancy, BUT. When I got this batch of eggs in I didn't have room in my incubator for all of the eggs....soooooo.....I'm thinking if she's still in that box this morning looking intent...I might just slide those additional eggs under her. Whatcha think?

So I went out this morning to give my chickens their daily bucket of cheese doodles, and I noticed one of my Blue Ameraucana girls sitting in the nesting box. They are 38 weeks old and still haven't started laying. I was hoping they'd start before I set the incubator, so I could hatch some lovely blue eggs. Wouldn't it just figure that she'd lay her first egg 4 days after I set? Not that I have room for more eggs in the bator anyway...

Hahaha so, I went out to slip the eggs under the hen. She was still sitting there, eyes focused, looking intent. I started to slide the first egg under her, expecting to get pecked, but she ran and ran and she may still be running. I waited for a while, but I'm not sure she'll ever get in the laying box again. Oh well.

Hahaha so, I went out to slip the eggs under the hen. She was still sitting there, eyes focused, looking intent. I started to slide the first egg under her, expecting to get pecked, but she ran and ran and she may still be running. I waited for a while, but I'm not sure she'll ever get in the laying box again. Oh well.
Eh Good try though. I think she may need to be sitting for quite a few days non stop before you can be sure shes broody. She may go back to the eggs but most likely she was just chillin out in the nest box.

So I went out this morning to give my chickens their daily bucket of cheese doodles, and I noticed one of my Blue Ameraucana girls sitting in the nesting box. They are 38 weeks old and still haven't started laying. I was hoping they'd start before I set the incubator, so I could hatch some lovely blue eggs. Wouldn't it just figure that she'd lay her first egg 4 days after I set? Not that I have room for more eggs in the bator anyway...
I cant wait to get fertile eggs from my girls. Im so excited. The closest I am is with my Japanese bantam she is almost 22 weeks(she is the only one close to lay that is in with roos) though i havent noticed a roo mount her. Im sure it happens I dont stare at them all day its too cold out lol. I hope you get your first Blue egg soon.

Don't give up hope yet... though she may not be ready for this batch of eggs she may be warming up to the broody idea. If she does decide to sit again swap out the egg she is sitting on each day with a new (and marked) egg for a couple of days, this way you can know if she is dedicated to the 'sit' and not waste eggs in the process.. we did this for nearly 2 wks on our Gracie before we were able to give her the 'real' eggs.

Back
Top Bottom