Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

We made a sturdy candler out of a lamp soooo we candled this morning while it is nice and dark out. We have marans so didn't see any veining, but none were clear and most have dark spots that take up a third to half the egg. Two had slightly smaller dark spots. So cool, the kids loved it! I did not see any movement though

Last edited:
I never toss any eggs on the 1st candling unless they are cracked, stink or are leaking. For light colored eggs I give them to at least day 10 & dark or colored eggs usually go right on into lockdown unless I can obviously see light shining thru them. I have made the mistake of tossing eggs too soon before & found live wiggling babies when I eggtopsied that I couldn't see at all on candling. I always watch air cell development on dark eggs. If the air cell is getting bigger then the egg is developing. The darker the edge of the air cell gets the more development there is in the egg.

:) thanks! I don't want to get too excited, but there was def something there in all of them...so I am starting to get hopeful I might get one two to hatch ;)

So we candled our eggs today which is day 6, we couldn't wait any longer! Out of the ten there was probably about 6 or 7 that we could see the veins but we have Maran eggs so they are very dark and hard to see through so we were kinda disappointed with the results because we really don't know how many good ones we truly have. So take a look at some of the pictures and see what you guys think!

#4 is the only 1 I would question at this point, but I definitely wouldn't toss it yet. The rest all look to have darkening masses in the yolks. You really won't usually see much more than that in dark or colored eggs. Watch your air cells & mark them. If the air cells are getting bigger you have definite development.

I hatched BCM last spring and had a hard time getting any idea's as well. I left them alone and 100% hatched. Who knew. As I said earlier, they are hearty little birds. One minute you have a crack and the next ta-da! They are out of the shell.

I candled last night. Out of the 9 eggs, only 2 looked liked nothing was going on. I think one of them is infertile. It's a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte so the egg shell isn't so dark that I couldn't see through it and it was uniformly shaded. I didn't toss it yet, but it looks like a dud. One of the others was just so darned dark who knows.....All in all, looking good. Candling is just too much fun!

We made a sturdy candler out of a lamp soooo we candled this morning while it is nice and dark out. We have marans so didn't see any veining, but none were clear and most have dark spots that take up a third to half the egg. Two had slightly smaller dark spots. So cool, the kids loved it! I did not see any movement though
I know what you mean all we could see when we candled our ten BCM's was a darker area and also it was bigger, we had candled them before we put them in the bator so we had an idea of what they looked like. We were kinda hoping to see some veins which when we candled we could kind of see veins in some of the lighter ones and one we definitely saw some veins but the dark eggs are so hard to see through!! I wish we could see more!

Back
Top Bottom