Hatch-Along - setting eggs tonight or tom who's with me on this

rollkeeg877

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2012
london ontario
setting my first jan eggs ever so its kinda special to me there ameraucanas who's with me on setting eggs anyone
D.gif

Ok, after all this all I just had to do it. I candled about ten of my 34 eggs tonight. Day 5 for me. I saw a dark area in all of the eggs, looks like a dark yolk, and veins in most. Coolest thing though, I was able to see a tiny black dot that looked like the chicks eye as shown in pictures.

Now my wife, who was a little resistant at first is starting to get excited about my chicks.
yesss.gif

Not too excited but excited nonetheless.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I am a compulsive candler. From day 7-18 I am candling pretty much every day. I just have to be reassured they are still alive. Sometimes I even take a sneak peak before day 7.

As am I check at 3 days then 7 and every day after.
You can tell something at 3 days? I can't tell anything at 3 days. I can tell most by 5 days. Maybe because my eggs are light brown.

Ooh - and when I candle, I crawl under my desk to do it since it's the darkest spot in my office - and under my desk is a little heater. I take the eggs out of the incubator in the egg cartons and put them on the floor in front of the heater - that way they don't get too cold. It is freezing in my office (like 62 degrees), so I hate to take them out without the extra heater.....
I think I will try with my phone next time because my uber expensive canon is not cutting it! Iphone here we come!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad that I didn't do anything with those eggs (sandpaper etc). Just seemed to make sense. Does a hen wash the eggs she broods over?

I'm on day 9 now. I think I may candle again tonight and discard the clears, with eggtopsies to be performed.

Thanks again...it's good to know I have people to "hold my hand" through this.
hugs.gif

I sat some miles last Friday, hope I am doing ok, made a home made incubator , going to try that next...good luck with your eggs

Back
Top Bottom