Hatch-Along - setting eggs tonight or tom who's with me on this

I am a compulsive candler. From day 7-18 I am candling pretty much every day. I just have to be reassured they are still alive. Sometimes I even take a sneak peak before day 7.

As am I check at 3 days then 7 and every day after.
You can tell something at 3 days? I can't tell anything at 3 days. I can tell most by 5 days. Maybe because my eggs are light brown.

Here they are before they went into the incubator.
fl.gif

2 of the BBS Marans already began to ooooze and had to be removed
sad.png

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just set 40 eggs yesterday and this morning 2/01...
13 paint, splash, calico and white show potential Silkies (from Oregon breeder) and 27 are German/American (Good Shepherd) Heritage New Hamphsires (Nebraska-XW poultry). I included photos of the Hamp. eggs and their breeder stock...also the Silkie breeder stock....I will be offering some of these for sale too. Looking forward to about 20 days from now ((-;

Very nice selection
goodpost.gif
! Soooo curiosity got the best of me and I candled the eggs yesterday just for the heck of it haha. The one egg that had the rolling air cell....is still rolling and a tiny piece of the shell came off so I put wax over it. Not sure if I should pitch it now or wait till day 7?! any thoughts cause this is my first time. I also had one that already had a dark spot on the inside when I got them. Thinking a broody got ahold of it before me?! Also not sure if I should wait to pitch or not... I also have a question. If I get some eggs and add them to the incubator in a day or two can they make it through the hatching process humidity of my first set and be ok if I drop the humidity to balance it out once my first ones hatch? This hatch is only on day 3 so the added eggs would only be 4 or 5 days behind?

Last edited:
Very nice selection
goodpost.gif
! Soooo curiosity got the best of me and I candled the eggs yesterday just for the heck of it haha. The one egg that had the rolling air cell....is still rolling and a tiny piece of the shell came off so I put wax over it. Not sure if I should pitch it now or wait till day 7?! any thoughts cause this is my first time. I also had one that already had a dark spot on the inside when I got them. Thinking a broody got ahold of it before me?! Also not sure if I should wait to pitch or not... I also have a question. If I get some eggs and add them to the incubator in a day or two can they make it through the hatching process humidity of my first set and be ok if I drop the humidity to balance it out once my first ones hatch? This hatch is only on day 3 so the added eggs would only be 4 or 5 days behind?
HI. I never incubate 'roller' air cell eggs. even if they do develop past day 10 they would most likely not make it through pip and zip of hatch since the air cell is not stable...those i'd pitch now, if clearly rolling. I have added more eggs within 36 hrs and it's turned out okay...'staggered hatch' is what they call it...however...being within a day or 2 is not really technically staggered...most people if it's more than a few days, they have 2 bators...1 to incubate and 1 to hatch from. good luck!

Set my first 9 eggs on 1/31 and the remaining 25 on 2/1.

For whatever reason the postman delivered one set of eggs on 1/30 (a day earlier than expected) then decided not to deliver the other two egg shipments on 1/31, leaving me a note instead to pick up the following day at the post office.

So far so good. One set of eggs were somewhat soiled but all of them arrived intact. Tried to clean them off as best as possible with a dry brush, careful not to damage the eggs. Had to reorganize my incubator to accommodate the extra eggs that were shipped.

Made my first mistake....adding too many thermometers. Unfortunately there is a full degree difference between them so I've been sort of splitting the difference.

Anyway, really excited to finally be in "the game" with everyone.

First time incubating. I built a homeade incubator! I put in 8 Buff Orpington eggs. Hopefully all goes well. :)

First time incubating. I built a homeade incubator! I put in 8 Buff Orpington eggs. Hopefully all goes well. :)

This is my first time incubating too and I also built a homemade incubator. :) We're on day 4 and things are looking good so far. I checked a bunch of my eggs last night and was very happy to see veining in several of them. I can see a huge difference between a couple of days ago and today.

This is one of my EE eggs - it's either an EE/BO mix or an EE/BR.

My kids are just as obsessed with watching the eggs as I am. :) This is my homemade incubator. I used a cooler I had laying around that I got for free, glass from a picture frame I had packed away, duct tape I had on hand. I bought a small reflector light kit in the electrical aisle at Lowe's, removed the silver cone and grip handle and then fed that through the hole I cut in the side of the cooler. All in all, I have $10 into this incubator (light plus bulbs) - plus the two monitors I bought (but they don't count because I bought them to use for other things too, like in my greenhouse). It also took me less than 15 minutes to make - and it seems to be working. I did have a hard time keeping the temp where I wanted it because my office is cold (66 degrees) so I put a towel around it and it is holding the heat great. Temp is stable, humidity fluctuates but it is in a range I am comfortable with. Rather than turn the eggs inside the bator (they are in egg crates on top of a cookie cooling rack), I just prop up underneath the cooler and switch that out a few times a day. It seems to be working so far.

Back
Top Bottom