Hatch-Along - setting eggs tonight or tom who's with me on this

I'm on day 10 today for the first 14 of my eggs - 7 are on day 9 and 3 are on day 8. I candled all of them and I'm so excited - I have movement in 21/24 of them. Two of those are the younger ones and I'm just not sure about them yet. I think one might have a blood ring but since I don't really know what a blood ring is, I'm just guessing here.....I'm going to keep an eye on it for a few more days. If it wasn't a blue egg from my favorite hen, I would have just cracked it open by now.....but since it's hers and I only have 2 of hers in the bator, I don't want to do anything rash with it just yet......

Anyone else having good luck so far?

Ooh - here's my egg that I'm not sure about......I am guessing I have a blood ring.......

Here is a video of an egg I candled on day 8......so cool!

Ooh - here's my egg that I'm not sure about......I am guessing I have a blood ring.......

I'm having such a hard time getting pics of my eggs when candling them. Have a great camera not sure what I'm doing wrong... Then I get nervous that the eggs have been out of the bator too long. all my pics come out blurry
he.gif

I have been shooting video and taking pictures with my cell phone - I have a Droid DNA - it's working pretty well - much better than my little Cannon Powershot.........
lol.png

I'm having such a hard time getting pics of my eggs when candling them. Have a great camera not sure what I'm doing wrong... Then I get nervous that the eggs have been out of the bator too long. all my pics come out blurry
he.gif

Ooh - and when I candle, I crawl under my desk to do it since it's the darkest spot in my office - and under my desk is a little heater. I take the eggs out of the incubator in the egg cartons and put them on the floor in front of the heater - that way they don't get too cold. It is freezing in my office (like 62 degrees), so I hate to take them out without the extra heater.....

Ooh - and when I candle, I crawl under my desk to do it since it's the darkest spot in my office - and under my desk is a little heater. I take the eggs out of the incubator in the egg cartons and put them on the floor in front of the heater - that way they don't get too cold. It is freezing in my office (like 62 degrees), so I hate to take them out without the extra heater.....
I think I will try with my phone next time because my uber expensive canon is not cutting it! Iphone here we come!

Last edited:

That is so AWESOME!
ya.gif
I can see it moving around in there. I candeled at day 4 and I could see little veins in 7 of 8 eggs. But the 8th one was dark with lots of lighter spots on the shell of the egg, so it was really hard to tell if there were veins or not. I am so excited. Today is day 7 for me, I think i will candle again tonight to see if I see any movement.
smile.png

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe through this storm..... I probably have around 18-24 inches of snow already. Hard to tell exactly but the drifts have completely covered my cars and filled in the gaps between them. Almost hard to recognize that there are cars out there.

Day 8 going into Day 9 for me, candled all 34 eggs tonight.

I have questions regarding lack of growth/development in 12 of them but overall not bad for shipped eggs. I'll probably keep them all in the incubator until day 14 to make sure there are no stragglers unless I start noticing something "unpleasant". I noticed a line in one egg that was likely either was a piece of a ring (deceased egg) or a dense vessel??? I'll keep an eye on that one as well. Although my thermometer says the appropriate temp, usually solid between 99.8-100.4, my eggs seem to be a little behind in their development. I think this is either due to prolonged time between when the eggs where laid and trip through the mail or possibly due to lower than stated temps on my thermometer. It is amazing how far off the thermometers can be from each other. Does anyone have a good trick to tell which one would be the best to trust? I've pretty much have been averaging two of them.

Noobie question,
8 of 11 eggs I purchased from one seller were lightly soiled. When I received them I tried to brush off the poop but it was really dried on. I thought that the bloom would likely protect the eggs so I set them with my other eggs. Turns out that all of the soiled eggs are developing. Anyone have any recommendations regarding what I should do? Should I leave them alone or should I take them out and use sand paper to remove the dried feces?

Again, stay safe and warm.

Back
Top Bottom