Hatch date 4/25/16, anyone getting eggs?

gal5150

Songster
Mar 30, 2016
California
My girls (Cayuga and a WH) hatched April 25th and had hoped they'd start laying before winter but not an egg in sight. Anyone with same or close hatch date getting eggs?

Usually those breed start laying between 20 and 30 weeks. Yours are 25 weeks so right in the middle is usual point of lay times. I would expect eggs sometime soon but due to the days getting shorter for the winter, it can slow down when they start. They will be coming soon!

I did have some April hatches and mine just started laying.

My Welsh Harlequin hatched on the 5th May and she's still not laying
sad.png

My Saxony hatched then to, and they arent laying either.
Several of my girls are almost at 23wks (Sunday) and I believe none are laying.
Theyre saxony right? what time do they usually start? I thought mine would be laying by now
hmm.png

@Bills vs Beaks same as most others, 20-30 weeks, but it's not guaranteed going into fall.

I'm hoping for eggs this winter, so I've added supplemental lighting... here's hoping it works!

@Bills vs Beaks same as most others, 20-30 weeks, but it's not guaranteed going into fall.

I'm hoping for eggs this winter, so I've added supplemental lighting... here's hoping it works!
I thought about then. I'm not sure about lighting mine, I wasn't planning to.
I guess I just got them a little late.

I dropped $20 on a single led bulb with a solar panel. The light turns on at dark and lasts for a few hours. Seems to be long enough, as I am getting eggs now, when my last egg was 10/15 last year.

My Saxony hatched then to, and they arent laying either.
Theyre saxony right? what time do they usually start? I thought mine would be laying by now:/

I meant to add, and only now just realized I hadn't... I sold a pair that hatched 4/22 to a co-worker who reports eggs from her female. That duck would be about 26 weeks right now.

Update!!!!! Got our first egg this morning!!!!! Assuming it's from the WH and it's big and beautiful....comparison to large chicken egg

Back
Top Bottom