What position to hatch saddled air cell eggs in?

• Total voters
Pics
Praying! I would do them on their side, since you have had success with that, and maybe monitor them closely on hatch day. The pot of steaming water and blanket trick that I talked about in this thread really does help you open the lid with little to no fluctuation to temp and humidity. I really hope that it goes well! Keep us posted!
Remember, either decision is a gamble with shipped eggs, and it won’t be your fault if one doesn’t make it.
People have had success with both upright and on their side because neither is the wrong choice. So don’t put to much pressure on yourself.

Just putting some in lockdown tonight, and nervous as heck. I have had mixed results with shipping eggs. All that make it to lockdown are always saddled. My local PO sucks.
My first hatch, I left all on their sides with biggest aircell end up. All hatchees did so well. My second hatch, I am devastated because one of the chicks pipped in the wrong spot and the membrane was too tough to break and s/he drowned. I never ever want to experience this again... :'( So I don't know if putting that chick upright might have helped? I'm just not sure! I am going to read the rest of the thread but wanted to post now. Please pray for my babies!

Praying! I would do them on their side, since you have had success with that, and maybe monitor them closely on hatch day. The pot of steaming water and blanket trick that I talked about in this thread really does help you open the lid with little to no fluctuation to temp and humidity. I really hope that it goes well! Keep us posted!
Remember, either decision is a gamble with shipped eggs, and it won’t be your fault if one doesn’t make it.
People have had success with both upright and on their side because neither is the wrong choice. So don’t put to much pressure on yourself.
Thank you so much. I am terrified to do it on the side because one of them drowned last time! :'( Of course I don't know if I could have saved it if it were upright either, but...oh I am a wreck of indecision! I put them upright in a cut down egg carton but now tortured with the thought should I break lockdown and lay it down? UGH! Please be okay little chickie I can't lose another one!

I lay them down on their sides with the lowest part of the saddle up. So far, I've never had any issues doing it that way :)
I have slightly detached air, sacs or saddled. I’m not really sure the difference they look slightly saddled, and the air sack moves within where it’s slightly saddled. It’s all stays at the blunt end of the egg is that saddled when the air sac moves within the saddle.

Back
Top Bottom