Have anyone ever cross Rhode Island Red with other breeds?

Chickenlover20

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
I have 5 RIR cockerels, and I might breeding them to my Jersey Giant, Light Brahma, leghorn, Easter Egger, and Barred rock.
But I don't sure what their babies will turn out.

If you have ever bred RIR rooster with one of those breeds, can you show me what they look like?

I know that if I breed the RIR with my Black Jersey Giant, they will be a GOOD for meat and maybe layer.

My black Jersey giants hens are GREAT layer, They lay a lot eggs. I get about 20-25 eggs from my hens. I have about 14 hens.

My RIR cockerels WILL get their OWN hens and coops. We will only keep like 1 or 2. They are so sweet boys that I have raise from chicks to now. they are 1 months old.

I'm VERY curious what RIR crossbred look like!

I own 1 rir hen and 1 mix hen and roo . The Jersey Giants interest me (prob cause they're so big) if you cross those I'm guessing you'd get a chicken that cold stand extreme summers or extreme winters. Keep me posted on what happens if you do decide to mix breeds Id love to know what they turn out to look like , egg production, etc .

Last edited:
oh nice. I will let you know what they turn out.

I also will crossbred RIR rooster with my Easter Egger, to make good layer of Easter egger and RIR, Also my Black Jersey Giant girls are bigger than RIR, about big as Silver Wyandotte.

Same as here. I cant wait till see what chicks look like. If you breed the RIR over the Barred rock and you will get black link?

actually the RIR to Barred Rock cross is done by hatcheries in the thousands
it's how black sexlinks are made
male chicks will have a white spot on the head and will be barred when the feathers come in
females will be black with some red leakage
Light Brahma isn't the usual breed for red sexlinks but they will work
females will hatch out red - males more yellow
other than the pea comb and feather legs they will look similar
(not identical)
to the red sexlinks the hatcheries produce
- Walt

actually the RIR to Barred Rock cross is done by hatcheries in the thousands
it's how black sexlinks are made
male chicks will have a white spot on the head and will be barred when the feathers come in
females will be black with some red leakage
Light Brahma isn't the usual breed for red sexlinks but they will work
females will hatch out red - males more yellow
other than the pea comb and feather legs they will look similar
(not identical)
to the red sexlinks the hatcheries produce
- Walt
Oh!

I hopefully We will make a best layer out of RIR with other breeds. I owns a best layers breeds here.

I can't tell you what they will look like, but an EE with an RIR will produce an "eggcellent" layer. the eggs will still be colerful because the pigment gene for the eggs in EEs or any blu-green egg layer is dominant- thus continuing at LEAST into the next generation.

lol keep me posted too! I'm looking foward to seeing some interesting hybrids! There's a whole thread for people with mutt chickens... I just need to remember where it was...

Back
Top Bottom