Have you heard of this term/color variety?

Cuckookuzu

Hatching
Aug 29, 2020
Hi everyone! Not new to chickens but new to breeds other than BYM or your standard feed store dual purpose/layers. I recently decided to work with silkies as well as one other breed. I want to learn the SOP and breed towards it I decided to begin with a black pen for silkies .. I noticed that most of the flashy colors all fall back to a quality black gene pool. I have sifted through quite a few babies this spring and when a local breeder offered to grab some chicks from a reputable breeder upstate I was ecstatic! I only purchased 2 of these babies one is solid black and the other is something they referred to as a "reverse partridge"? I have searched for this term everywhere that i can think of but have only come across reverse paint with no explanation to what it is. Does anyone have a clue about the color of this chick? I can post pics but it looks like an average black colored chick with a slight bit of silver leakage that I am reluctant to call anything other than chick fluff growing out. I can post more current pictures in the comments thread once the sun comes up this picture shows the chick at just a couple of weeks old 20200731_154641.jpg

Attachments

• 20200731_154629.jpg
    20200731_154629.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 11
Well, I can’t answer your question, but I wanted to assure you that your chick is just adorable, and your staging is first class. Whatever made you choose green?

Thank you! This one is close to 6/7 weeks old now and a bossy little one. As for the green I would love to say i put immense thought into it but it was one of 3 solid colors i had on hand and happens to be my favorite lol.. in the back of my mind I say I will use it like a green screen and put my kids on the back of the chicks or reinact a scene from Godzilla buuut im not that talented and there never seem to be enough hours in the day!

Cute silkie! I have never heard of reverse partridge, though it could be a silver partridge. Silkies can be tough to detemine their feather coloring based on baby down. Part of the fun of having them I guess! I have a partridge silkie with blue undertones, but she had the typical chipmunk stripe as a chick. Please post as this one develops! :)

Last edited:
I've never heard of reverse partridge either. :confused:

Breeding paints I've seen some black from paint chicks that have some of that lighter more silvery down on the crest, belly etc as chicks. A lot of my black from paint boys get leakage in the hackles, not sure if the down color corresponds to that or not though. :hmm

I agree with jmns, would love to see how this little one develops! :)

ignore the messy Crest and face they swim in their wet feed and dust bathe in the dry feed lol this is the same chick at 5-6 weeks old... still stumped lol

Attachments

• 20200909_152638.jpg
    20200909_152638.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200909_152639.jpg
    20200909_152639.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 6
ignore the messy Crest and face they swim in their wet feed and dust bathe in the dry feed lol this is the same chick at 5-6 weeks old... still stumped lol
I am just over the moon here about silkies now! I have been since we ordered our chicks back at the first of the year but I was too afraid to get them because of their size. I was afraid that because of never having birds before that we would really mess up and not know how to handle things well enough to manage them if they got sick or didn’t eat well and I didn’t think we could manage their housing and another coop and run for the big birds also and that it was just going to be too much on my husband. However, I think I am going to have to give in and get some. It seems that we would get so much back from putting our time in with them though. He is just adorable!

Aww what a cutie! :love

Still not seeing anything partridge like, maybe a dark blue? I don't have a lot of experience with blues but the few I've raised have a more patchy look as chicks with some of the lighter under down showing in tufts. Could be something else though, I'm still excited to see how the little one develops!

Back
Top Bottom