Have Your Chickens Ever Made You Sick?

MarcoPollo

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2012
Hot Coffee, MS
Have you ever been sickened by your chickens? By their eggs or meat? By their parasites? By cleaning up after them? Have they ever injured you or your family members or other animals? Have you ever had suspicions that you were sick because of chickens?
I have been looking up ways to treat recent parasite problems with my chickens, and it made me wonder if people ever get sick from their chickens.
The only time I've ever been ill was from cleaning out coop shavings which resulted in sinus problems. The dust mask is now my friend during coop cleaning
wink.png

my chickens have never made me, or my family sick. There was one "injury". A roo tried to spur me, but only scratched me.

I've had mine now for 1 1/2 years. Spend a lot of time with them. In the run. Haven't bought an egg from the store in this time. And never again will. I'm not the cleanest person in the world. Washing hands 20x a day etc etc. DO bath now. HAHAHA. Only eat one chicken a few weeks ago because she had bumble foot and cutting it out didn't work. But that will change this year when I get a breed of meat chickens.

Never once have I ever got sick due to my chickens or ducks. Or any of our 11 cats or 4 dogs!! LOL

Last edited:
That would be a no on all fronts. Honestly, being exposed to animals in general makes you immune to some of the things, the only thing the animals do is make me dirty! er.. does that count?
lau.gif

Illness, never. Injury, once. A pretty easter egger roo spurred my then 2year old ds, raked the crap out of his back.

Protective dad+ attacked kid + shotgun = not enough rooster to eat
lol.png

But no, never been sick from the birds. I'm also not a clean freak and often don't wash my hands after being out with my birds.

Illness, never. Injury, once. A pretty easter egger roo spurred my then 2year old ds, raked the crap out of his back.

lol.png

But no, never been sick from the birds. I'm also not a clean freak and often don't wash my hands after being out with my birds.
I am glad you added the part about not washing you hands every time, while I try to wash my hands, I will sometimes forget then pop a cherry tomato or something from the garden (without washing it either) into my mouth and then worry if I am going to get sick.

I do have sinus problems when I brood in the house, but it is so worth it to watch and enter act with the chicks that I take a benadryl and don't worry about it.

lol.png

Sorry but this is funny!!!
yuckyuck.gif

I am glad you added the part about not washing you hands every time, while I try to wash my hands, I will sometimes forget then pop a cherry tomato or something from the garden (without washing it either) into my mouth and then worry if I am going to get sick.

I do have sinus problems when I brood in the house, but it is so worth it to watch and enter act with the chicks that I take a benadryl and don't worry about it.

Sorry again, but I clean the hen house out and while I'm still pushing the wheel barrel around I'm eating my cherry tomato's in the summer too!!
lau.gif

I have not gotten sick. But I do cover my face when cleaning the coop. If I do not cover my face I can smell chickens for a few hours after cleaning the coop and it grosses me out to think the dusty chicken poo and dander is in my sinuses. I do wash my hands after any contact with the chickens and I change and wash my clothes immediatly if necessary. Any animal can make you sick if precautions are not taken. I feel a dog with fleas is a bigger threat than the chickens. Avian flu does concern me a little bit though. People are actually the biggest threat as far as sickness and disease.I prefer people to keep their germs to themselves!

Back
Top Bottom