Haven't laid eggs in 2 weeks? WE HAVE EGGS!!!

They are year old hens, and all three of them have stopped laying eggs for four days in a row now?
They seem to be eating just fine? Well, i take that back, they are not eating there laying pellets, but they are free ranging just fine.
No one is broody in the nest box, or screaming at me, everyone seems to be fine, but 4 days? Should I be worried???

Finally after all this time we have eggs!!
I just acted like an idiot and every time they squatted for the "rooster" (me) I just poked at the back of there head with my finger and rumpled there tail feathers like the farmer up the road suggested. And then this morning we had an egg!! Yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been hot or anything else that is different from their routine? I know they can stress easily.
Maybe less free range time so they eat more of their layer pellets?

Quote:
Hmm....well we did go from hot to cold very quickly? Could that have done it?

Quote:

I suppose. I know that heat can stress them but I don't think the cold bothers them. And I know you are not talking snow cold.
I'm curious too. Hopefully, others will chime in.

Quote:

I suppose. I know that heat can stress them but I don't think the cold bothers them. And I know you are not talking snow cold.

No not snow cold, but it went from 70-80 to a drastic sudden drop of 40-50 and rain. Lots of rain.
I hope others chime in, because now im a little concerned
sad.png

Quote:

No not snow cold, but it went from 70-80 to a drastic sudden drop of 40-50 and rain. Lots of rain.
sad.png

And none are egg bound? I have trouble believing that ALL of your hens would suddenly be egg bound.

I have 3 hens and about a month ago was getting soft shelled eggs some one girl and no eggs from the others. I LOVE giving them treats. And while I dole out healthy treats, fruit and such doesn't have enough protein and calcium to support their egg production. So I cut them off cold turkey except for a small handful of BOSS each morning and two days later I'm back to three perfect eggs a day.

That's what makes me suspicious that you need to make sure your girls are getting a majority of their food from their layer rations. And not from greens and bugs from the yard.

Although, some people don't even feed their hens chicken feed, they only let them free range and they lay just fine. But I wonder if their systems don't grow up and adapt to that lifestyle.

Hmmm...

Quote:
sad.png

And none are egg bound? I have trouble believing that ALL of your hens would suddenly be egg bound.

I have 3 hens and about a month ago was getting soft shelled eggs some one girl and no eggs from the others. I LOVE giving them treats. And while I dole out healthy treats, fruit and such doesn't have enough protein and calcium to support their egg production. So I cut them off cold turkey except for a small handful of BOSS each morning and two days later I'm back to three perfect eggs a day.

That's what makes me suspicious that you need to make sure your girls are getting a majority of their food from their layer rations. And not from greens and bugs from the yard.

Although, some people don't even feed their hens chicken feed, they only let them free range and they lay just fine. But I wonder if their systems don't grow up and adapt to that lifestyle.

Hmmm...

Well, there not acting egg bound? Wouldn't they be acting in pain or something? They eat the oyster shells just fine along with the corn and grain scratch. They love it, but i dont give it out all that often. I really dont know what to do? Its not like they arent getting any protein, but not even a soft shelled egg, nothing.

Quote:
If you have them free ranging they may have decided to make a nest somewhere and are laying there. This happened to me several times last summer. Walk around your property and look very carefully for a concealed nest somewhere. Mine like privacy in tall grass, bushes and under trees. Kinda like an Easter egg hunt, but they are all in the same spot
lol.png

Quote:
If you have them free ranging they may have decided to make a nest somewhere and are laying there. This happened to me several times last summer. Walk around your property and look very carefully for a concealed nest somewhere. Mine like privacy in tall grass, bushes and under trees. Kinda like an Easter egg hunt, but they are all in the same spot
lol.png

Oh, that's brilliant. I'll bet you that's exactly what is happening.

Quote:
lol.png

We have been looking! That was my original thought, I even followed my hens all over the place like a moron yesterday, and let my beagle out to find there spots. (he helps locate them when they dont want to come back to the coop) and nothing. Not a single egg.
The crows havent even been around lately so egg thieves are also out of the question
hmm.png

I am so confused right now its not even funny...

Back
Top Bottom