Healthiest chicken breeds

To answer your other question, I like to view it more like leghorns have the ABILITY to be flighty. I haven't found them to leave the property with no reason, or be birds that stress easily, quite the contrary actually, I feel more safe knowing that my birds can fly well and escape predator attacks! What I'm saying is, I would prefer to chase my chicken to get it back into the property (or for it to come back alone which is not unheard of) than for her to be an easy snack for a predator

To answer your other question, I like to view it more like leghorns have the ABILITY to be flighty. I haven't found them to leave the property with no reason, or be birds that stress easily, quite the contrary actually, I feel more safe knowing that my birds can fly well and escape predator attacks! What I'm saying is, I would prefer to chase my chicken to get it back into the property (or for it to come back alone which is not unheard of) than for her to be an easy snack for a predator

I think that whether people consider some of these birds "flighty" vs "active, alert, and mischievous" is probably a matter of personal taste.

I like having a California White or two in my flock, but I don't think I'd enjoy an entire flock of them. Sort of like the difference between a dash of hot sauce vs drinking it straight. ;)

Interesting about the hatchery vs. breeder thing!

So sorry to see poor Slowpoke :( I am still interested in EEs, but I will have to look out for crossbeak or other physical deformities.

The best and most reputable breeders will have birds that are both fine specimens of their breed AND selected for long-term good health.

But I have, sadly, read too many cases here of people who *thought* they were getting fine breeder birds and found them less than desirable in reality. IMO, and people will argue with me I'm sure, most backyard chicken-keepers' needs are going to be met by hatchery-stock birds or even local barnyard mixes that have adapted over generations to local conditions. :)

EE's have a great reputation, though it seems that source matters greatly.

I think source is the most important factor in getting a healthy breed with the exception of high production and meat birds like Cornish Cross. I have had birds for over ten years and without fail the ones I have purchased from backyard breeders are the ones that wind up having the most issues. I raise my own chicks now. From there I decide who to keep based on temperament and haven't had health issues with any of my hatched birds which currently are Delawares, Lavendar Orpington, Naked Necks, Marans and Olive Eggers. I have sent numerous birds (entire flocks actually) to retire at my mom's house and she just recently lost the last Buckeye from one of my first flocks. She still has several healthy Welsummers and Marans I gave her as pullets. I think if you steer clear of meat birds, high production birds and questionable breeders you will do well with almost any breed. I have heard bad things about the latest Cream Legbars flooding the market but don't own any personally to speak on that.

I have had birds for over ten years and without fail the ones I have purchased from backyard breeders are the ones that wind up having the most issues.

This is an excellent point.

It is unfortunate that some people are simply too sentimental to cull a problem bird and thus ensure that any genetic component to the problem ends there. :(

Please bear in mind that I am in Australia, so might not be relevant.

I have not a had good experiences with Orpingtons. So far, I have had four; one had to be put down at around year old for water belly, another has got wry tail, another has gone blind in one eye.
I do like the only one which has not had any problems, but she is not a good layer. I have also not had much luck hatching her eggs, although when I have managed the chicks have been exceptional good.
I think this is because they are one of the most sort after breeds here, with 'breeders' breeding for cash, not good health or laying.

The breed I like the most so far, is Sussex.
I have Light, Coronation, and Speckled. So far, they have all been great layers, although they do go broody a fair bit.
The only problem I have had was one hen that laid soft shell eggs for a bit, but they have now returned to normal.
But overall, I love them! Also, very easy to handle, and my rooster and cockerels have had good temperaments.

I've always been hesitant to get Leghorns, even though my local TSC has them often and I think they sound like excellent layers. But they are always described as "flighty". I know this means skittish, but is it also literal in the sense that they could try to fly over my 4 ft fence even with wings clipped? That's my worry. Other than that, they seem like a good contender. They are beautiful.

Good to know about the Wyandottes! I was thinking of getting them so that is something to consider. Orpingtons, Welsummers, and Sussex were catching my eye lately. I live near Meyer so I would likely be getting chicks from there. How old are your Orps, Welsummers, and Sussex from Meyer? Are they still laying at their age? How broody are the Orpingtons?
Currently everyone from Meyer is 1.5 years so still on the young side and broody enough to hatch chicks 1-2 times a year, but not Silkie addicted to being broody all of the time kind of broody.

Plymouth Rock

They are cold & heat hardy, friendly & personable, good foragers, not flighty, lay well, aren’t often broody, live a long time (in my family’s experience). My aunt had a predator attack on her 7 year old flock, and up until then was still getting a few eggs a week from them.

Bonus is there are a bunch of colors/patterns that aren’t too difficult to find! (Barred, white, buff, Columbian, partridge, & silver penciled to name a few!)

I am with the two that mentioned Orpingtons and Marans as their choices. Also a vote for bantam Cochins, silkies and langshansI have not found lavenders in these breeds to be healthy but all other colors seem to do super well. I have had 4 lavender Orps and they have all had poor constitutions—one was hatchery (don’t know which one :-/) and three were from backyard breeders…so there’s that. However, I also have lavender laced, mauve, chocolate, and mauve splash Orpingtons and they are all super easy going, calm, friendly, healthy birds! All of them came from well known solid breeders—I think this really is crucial! My one hatchery Marans was the sweetest girl but I lost her to a crop issue. However, I also have a blue frizzle, a black, and a splash, and all are hardy calm birds also all from a well known breeder. The Orps and Marans are the backbone of my flock. I also have very healthy bantam Cochins, and very healthy silkies! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom