Healthiest chicken breeds

Who has experience with purchasing common breeds from TSC? I think my local TSC usually sources from Hoovers Hatchery. My only options are really TSC (Hoovers) or Meyer Hatchery, which is about an hour from me. I'm trying to avoid shipping chicks because I only need 3. Are chicks from TSC alright?

When people say that TSC/Hoover's chicks are "low quality" they mean that they may have only a passing resemblance to the breed they're supposed to breed.

No hatcheries routinely* provide birds strongly selected toward the SOP for that breed, but Hoover's has the reputation of the most casual attitude toward breed standards.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that their chicks aren't healthy, vigorous, and capable of making excellent backyard pets. They wouldn't keep their contract to supply a major farm store chain if they routinely sent sickly, weak chicks that customers then complained about (though there is always the problem of shipping stress for a given batch or of an occasional chick that just didn't develop correctly).

The problem of farm store chicks being mixed up and not what the label on the bin says is not limited to TSC and it's not necessarily the fault of the employees. I have PERSONALLY seen the chicks at a local, independent farm store mixing themselves up -- jumping to the edge of their bins and then jumping down into the next bin.

If buying chicks from a farm store rather than a hatchery it's wise to go there armed with a clear knowledge of what the chicks of the breeds you want are supposed to look like and either the willingness to not buy them if they don't look right or the willingness to take potluck.

*Murray McMurray has several flocks of APA certified breeds that are supposed to be selected for show quality. They are, of course, more expensive.

When people say that TSC/Hoover's chicks are "low quality" they mean that they may have only a passing resemblance to the breed they're supposed to breed.

No hatcheries routinely* provide birds strongly selected toward the SOP for that breed, but Hoover's has the reputation of the most casual attitude toward breed standards.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that their chicks aren't healthy, vigorous, and capable of making excellent backyard pets. They wouldn't keep their contract to supply a major farm store chain if they routinely sent sickly, weak chicks that customers then complained about (though there is always the problem of shipping stress for a given batch or of an occasional chick that just didn't develop correctly).

The problem of farm store chicks being mixed up and not what the label on the bin says is not limited to TSC and it's not necessarily the fault of the employees. I have PERSONALLY seen the chicks at a local, independent farm store mixing themselves up -- jumping to the edge of their bins and then jumping down into the next bin.

If buying chicks from a farm store rather than a hatchery it's wise to go there armed with a clear knowledge of what the chicks of the breeds you want are supposed to look like and either the willingness to not buy them if they don't look right or the willingness to take potluck.

*Murray McMurray has several flocks of APA certified breeds that are supposed to be selected for show quality. They are, of course, more expensive.
For the farm: We got 9 chicks from TSC last summer. Only 5 are still alive. Out of the 15 we got from another source, 14 are still alive.
This year an additional 6 from TSC and about 25 more from other sources. I hope this batch from TSC fares better.

For the farm: We got 9 chicks from TSC last summer. Only 5 are still alive. Out of the 15 we got from another source, 14 are still alive.
This year an additional 6 from TSC and about 25 more from other sources. I hope this batch from TSC fares better.

The best controlled study for chick health from a given TSC would be chicks shipped from the same hatchery to different farm stores in the same region, traveling for the same length of time in the same mail shipments.

That would remove factors other than the quality of care at that particular TSC. :)

The best controlled study for chick health from a given TSC would be chicks shipped from the same hatchery to different farm stores in the same region, traveling for the same length of time in the same mail shipments.

That would remove factors other than the quality of care at that particular TSC. :)
Agreed! Just sharing our one experience.

My friend bought sexed "pullets" from TSC and more than half are actually roosters. If you don't have a way to keep or get rid of extra roosters, it's not a good idea to buy from TSC. One time, I saw some yellow chicks mixed in the bin for "Red star pullets" myself at TSC and feel so sorry for who got them, since these yellow chicks are definitely not red star pullets! They could be other breed or roos.
Oh yeah, I have heard of that happening. That would be bad for me! We aren't afraid to give away a rooster on Craigslist or cull it, but we are only getting 3. If 2/3 are roosters, we'll have a lone pullet. Or 3/3 we'll have none lol.
If I lived an hour away from Meyer, I would drive & pick up exclusively.
Hmm yeah. I think they do have a better reputation for chick health and sexing. I guess I just like the thought of the simplicity of going to the local farm store. But maybe you're right. I'm lucky to live that close. The trip down to Amish country might be worth it. I made the trip last year to pick up 7 Cornish X and 2 layers.
I've had so many different breeds through the years. I found that the RIR, Sexlinks, and Leghorns were the healthiest. In fact, never had a sick one.
No health issues with sexlinks?! I find that so hard to believe, based on my experience and what I've read from so many others. So they have lived past 2-3 years with no issues??? If so, consider yourself one lucky chicken keeper!!!

We aren't afraid to give away a rooster on Craigslist or cull it, but we are only getting 3. If 2/3 are roosters, we'll have a lone pullet. Or 3/3 we'll have none lol.

A good reason to get twice as many as you actually want and sell the extras after you pick the ones you like best.

A good reason to get twice as many as you actually want and sell the extras after you pick the ones you like best.
That's an extremely dangerous game with me, 3KB! It's hard not to get attached and then "accidentally" keep them all. :lau

But in all seriousness, not a bad idea, if I can muster the self control to tell myself exactly how many I'll keep.

Back
Top Bottom