Heat on Chicks

Waterwitch232

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
So I just got some little chicks one is maybe a little under a week old the other four are just days old so they are about half the size. Now I have a heat lamp on them and there are two boxes one “hot” and one “cool” there’s a hole so they can jump in between. I have it at about 90-95 and I see that the older chick is panting, but the little un’s are fine. They are hanging around the bigger one for warmth even. I need some advice on what to do, to keep them all comfortable.

Heating lamps are just so hard to control the temp with. I have an old brinsea brood warmer (warming tray chicks crawl under) that I have used for years and it's great. More of an electric hen idea. Brinsea is a little pricey. but, I have seen other brands out there recently that are much more affordable. I have had good results with a heating pad over a little chicken wire frame, similar to the one in the thread that Waterwitch232 linked to.

I suspect the older chick doesn’t know how to escape the heat also. Maybe a larger hole, more like a doorway? Also make sure the cool area is not dark. My chicks are always hesitant to enter dark spaces, no matter what food or warmth or shelter lies within.

He/she has gone in and out of the boxes. I do want to invest in one of those little plastic brooders instead of the heat lamps, just haven’t done so yet. That may just fix all my issues.

Back
Top Bottom