Heat Plate vs. Heat Lamp

13 is a bit early for them to be moving around much, but they could be getting into position. Has your temperature been on the high side? Have the air cells grown good size or are they still small?

At this point, they are definitely far enough along that you can stop turning. I'd candle and see if any air cells are drawn down, and if you want to bump humidity up now, it should be fine.

The temperature has been at a steady 37.5 degress celcius (99.5 fahrenheit) with no large spikes above or bellow that. The problem is that I have not been able to candle them because the candler I bought, which says it is for Quail, does not shine through the shell at all (safe to say the last 13 days have been torture not knowing what is going on in there). I have read that some people actually lockdown on day 14, should I do that instead of waiting until day 15 like I had planned? I could just stop turning the eggs I have seen moving? Or do I need to go into lockdown now?

For lockdown candling, you don't need to be able to see any detail. If the egg is dark, there is a chick inside; if it is green/yellow, it should be removed. You should be able to see the air cell, but even if not there's not a whole lot more you can do about the air cell at this point without causing other issues.

Update No.2: 3 more have hatched, so I am up to 50% hatch rate so far. These 3 have been named Jupiter, Bea and Magic, and 2 more have pipped, so here's hoping for 2 more before the end of today :wee

Just a quick question:

Two of my eggs have started moving (and I am sooo excited), but I am only on day 13 of incubation. Is it normal for them to start getting into position this early and should I stop turning the eggs I see moving now? And do I need to put them into lockdown earlier and if I do will this harm the other eggs? (okay, so questions haha!)

:wee
I am also on my first batch of quail eggs (day16) and have also got a plate brooder it's from comfort chicks I can lower the legs to really low but also never seen a baby quail other than on youtube! so unsure how low to go.... will they instinctively go under it?
Now worrying that will need a heat lamp. my brooder box is indoors at the moment and The south of England is having a heat wave so the temperature outside the box is high and no draughts but now really anxious!! Not sure what to do for the best.......eakkk

It was devastating for me losing so many babies yeah. As for why the heat plate seemed to kill them, I'm at a loss. The plate was adjustable so you could lower or higher it as the chicks aged. All of this happened around a year ago, and it was truly awful. If you are willing to give the heat plate a try I will say you may lose a chick or two... It also would be best to have a lamp on hand if you do try. Personally I can never do an experiment at the possible cost of lives unless I truly have too(Say a hen leaves her eggs and I have no incubator) It is up to you now, I'm truly sorry to frighten you but it would be terrible if you lost babies because of a heat plate.

I am glad you told me, I wanted honest responses from people who have had either (hopefully) successfull experiences or otherwise. I needed to hear what happened to your chicks as I do not want this to happen to mine, it sounds awful. Any way I can give them the best start is what I am going to do, I would much rather spend more money on a heat lamp knowing that it will be better for them.

Thankyou :)

Just a quick question:

Two of my eggs have started moving (and I am sooo excited), but I am only on day 13 of incubation. Is it normal for them to start getting into position this early and should I stop turning the eggs I see moving now? And do I need to put them into lockdown earlier and if I do will this harm the other eggs? (okay, so questions haha!)

Just a quick question:

Does anyone know what I should do about this?? :idunno

Does anyone know what I should do about this?? :idunno

13 is a bit early for them to be moving around much, but they could be getting into position. Has your temperature been on the high side? Have the air cells grown good size or are they still small?

At this point, they are definitely far enough along that you can stop turning. I'd candle and see if any air cells are drawn down, and if you want to bump humidity up now, it should be fine.

Have you tried candling with a cell phone light? They are usually nice and bright. And although I have had trouble with some of the shells, I was still able to see through most, at least enough to tell if they were fully dark with growth, or clear with no growth.
I use a mini-mag flashlight with a bit of craft foam taped around the top, with a hole cut in it.
I'd want to look at the air cells at least, to decide if its too early to lockdown or not.
WP_20160726_013.jpg

WP_20160207_033.jpg

Back
Top Bottom