Heatstroke/Broken Neck?!? Old Rooster

TwinsLoveChicks

Songster
Mar 10, 2016
At the coop
My Coop
My Coop
Tonight when I went to lock up my chickens, my old rooster was lying on the ground instead of in his coop, and when I checked on him I discovered that he was very much out of it and although breathing, couldn’t really move besides twitching, rolling his head around, or moving his legs a little. At first I thought that he was on his way out, but he’s clucking a little and tries to move sometimes. He can’t hold his head up or sit up, and his breathing is pretty labored. I brought him inside and he’s currently in a box in a dark room and I’m checking on him every once in a while.

I don’t know exactly what’s wrong with him. It’s almost as though he broke his neck or had a stroke. It was over 100 degrees fahrenheit today, so could he possibly have heatstroke? He was in the shade and had easy access to water all day, and the rest of my birds are ok, but he’s probably about 6+ years old and considering the heat...? Also, I have no idea how he could have injured his neck because there isn’t anything for him to get stuck on?
Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom