Hello, new egg here!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marygreene, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Hello everyone, I'm new here.
    In the distant past, I kept a few chickens, ducks and rabbits...well, 40 rabbits. In the recent past, I've had only one chicken at a time which was enough eggs. Yesterday I finally got the breed I wanted - 6 Buff Orpingtons (driving my dogs crazy and keeping everyone separated).
    I want to do the best I can to keep these girls...well, I hope they are all girls, happy and healthy.
    They will not be free-range as we have hawks and owls here. They will have a luxurious coop and a lovely tractor.
    My hobbies are plant propagation, gardening, carpentry, sewing. The sewing is mostly upcycling old garments to make dog coats/sweaters, plus making blankets for the dogs at the local Humane Society.
    I give plants away at our local swap, anywhere from 100 to 350 plants twice a year. Rescue and foster dogs as needed (9 dogs last year). Trying to keep my garden as organic as possible. Have 2 rabbits, Rosie and Matthew, who supply manure for the veggies and in turn, the veggies provide food for the rabbits and soon for the chickens as well. I live in Chatham County, Georgia near Savannah. (Hey, I got tired just reading all that!)
    Hope to learn from everyone.

2. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    :frowWelcome aboard!. Nice to meet you..:)

3. Kessel23

Kessel23 Crowing

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    WELCOME TO BYC! :highfive::frow:woot

4. DelaneyMGB25

DelaneyMGB25 Songster

Jan 14, 2018
    Illinois
    :welcome So glad you joined us!!:woot
    Good luck raising your Pretty buffs!
    40 rabbits?!? Wow! I had only 7 and though I had too many!! What kind/s do you have?

5. pineapple416

pineapple416 Songster

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Welcome! Feel free to create a thread and ask questions about your new girls whenever you need to. We have 2 rabbits right now, 1 to show at 4H and one that we took in from someone who couldn't keep her anymore. Couldn't imagine having 40 though wow! That is also so cool that you foster dogs I have always wanted to foster dogs but my family doesn't want to. Good luck:)

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good morning, and welcome to BYC.

7. Thanks! The 40 rabbits were a long time ago; we raised them for pets and/or meat (for other people to eat). Had 6 ducks just for the fun and the eggs. Right now I have only 2 rabbits (I added an image and it's somewhere on this site - still learning!). I am so excited to finally have the Buff Orpingtons. Hope my 3 dogs will appreciate and respect the girls...well, I hope at least 5 will be girls. Wouldn't mind just one rooster.

8. The dogs just seem to find me (and my adult daughter). I only foster them when our local Animal Control cannot take them. Having a lot of rabbits is easy if you use suspended cages; very easy to clean underneath when there are no legs and no wood...but, heck, this is not the Backyard Rabbit Forum.

9. I like your wizard hat!

10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Mary and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya
    We're pretty much all creature friendly around here... @CapricornFarm loves to talk bunny...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: