I have had ducks and chickens doing partial molts all the way through this month even. Our weather has been crazy. Not flight feathers with the ducks but small feathers everywhere. A couple of my Cochin bantam hens still working on getting the rest of their feathers on their heads. It's been a very strange winter so far. And I think it gets everyone confused. That's all about to change though over the weekend back to the deep freeze.

I do give dry dog food as a supplement during molt and winter months my birds love it. And dried meal worms.
I was reading on force molt and I find it cruel. Just give her time ,good feed and hopefully she'll soon molt out the old and grow the new. As long as she acts healthy.

The one in question is a black swedish, and the other is a Rouen.
Good info! I did not know that their wings did not need to be trimmed....I don't trim them anymore, only the first year they would run around flapping their wings and get a little airborne so that is why I was cautious and trimmed the wings.
I definitely have never seen a hard molt and no bald patches ever on them. I know they are molting when their feathers all all over the yard, but I always notice it is only the rouens feathers, never any black feathers.
She definitely behaves like a normal messy duck! Just after so long, I was starting to get worried why she always looks so ratty, and if was related to an underlying condition I was not aware of.
Is there anything that can be done to encourage or promote her molt?
Hey I don’t know if your still on this website but I have a black Swedish who is in what seems to be a “hard molt” like yours. did the duck ever molt its old feathers?

Back
Top Bottom