Help! 3 eggs cracked in incubator in a row at about 10 days

Annabelleshome

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
I cant find reasons for this except I suspect humidity. We have humidity here where I live in the cascade mountains so I stopped adding water. I have been running the bator at 99.5 fairly consistantly. They were located in the center under the fan. I am using a little giant incubater as my hens was not broody when I receive the eggs. They eggs also took a week to arrive. But we have had heavy rains lately and wonder if it was just too humid here. I don't see cracks in the others but worry they are all bad or I did something wrong. This is my first go around. I am hoping for the best.

The eggs that were cracked went stinky and I had to clean the bottom of the incubator and put all the eggs back in quickly on the mesh. I am cleaning the turner and disinfecting it as the fly's got into the incubator too. Ugh. Can I wash the eggs to clean them again at this point? If I do, I hope to candle them tonight and see what I can see, as I dont have any dark rooms during the day, then wash them and put them back in.

Any advise would help!

Thank you

Removing them quickly was a good idea. They probably had some bacteria enter thru the shell at some point and went bad (which would explain the stink).
If they didn't explode or anything dramatic like that, the other eggs should be fine. I would NOT wash them. Washing them will remove the bloom, allowing bacteria to enter them as well. I would just candle to check viability and put them back. Good luck!

Thank you,

I had heard to sanitize eggs before putting them into the incubator, and did not know how except to just brush off debris first because I didnt want to disturb the bloom.

Thank you for your help. I had hoped I would not loose them all!

Karen

Back
Top Bottom