Help! 6 day old chick all of a sudden sick

This is a major milestone. She survived the night, number one. Now she appears to be weak, but who wouldn't be after what she's been through?

The main task now is to give her nourishment to give her strength. Applesauce and raw egg yolk plus a little sugar and Nutri-drench, slightly heated, should produce improvement you can see within an hour.

Try dipping her beak in the food as @Iluveggers mentioned.

My main concern now is her crop seems full of liquid. Is there anyway I can help it clear? I'm doing the egg yolk every 20 minutes or so. I am also giving water with hobey and nutridrench. I was just told on fb that sodium is bad for chickens, so maybe I should stop with the baking soda? She really isn't progressing much if at all. I don't really want to cull her since she is clearly fighting to stay alive 😞

A little baking soda won't hurt her, but she probably has had all she needs. Keep pushing the food now. Nutri-drench, the honey, water, egg. Include egg white, as well. It's got carbs in it that can provide energy. If you can, warm her periodically in a warm towel. Or use a heating pad under some towels where she's resting in between feedings. Direct contact heat is the best kind for baby chicks, even those with no health issue as this one has.

She's on top of a heating pad that I had strapped to the side of the box. How long should I keep giving her eggs and nutridrench honey water for before giving up? She's still not moving and is only opening her eyes when she randomly thrashes her head around 😞

Attachments

• IMG_20220213_121121619.jpg
    IMG_20220213_121121619.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 5
I have nothing more I can suggest. I would probably keep up with the feedings and water, and see where she is by evening. She should be heading in one direction or the other by then, making it easier to decide what her fate is.

I have nothing more I can suggest. I would probably keep up with the feedings and water, and see where she is by evening. She should be heading in one direction or the other by then, making it easier to decide what her fate is.
I'm leaning towards the bad direction. Her crop isn't empting. I massaged it a bit and she spit out some liquid that still had charcoal in it. I haven't given charcoal since last night 😞

Do you have a heat lamp you can put on her instead? I'd worry about her getting too hot on top of the pad and being unable to get off.

Back
Top Bottom