HELP! An animal attacked my hen! WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES

@casportpony
@oldhenlikesdogs
@aart

it's a good sign she is eating and drinking, I personally wouldn't cover the wounds just clean them for now , not awake enough just yet as no coffee so tagged some eggsperts
Okay thank you!

I've treated worse at home, and the bird did end up surviving. I agree that the wound should be flushed quite well. If there's any feathers or other debris inside, pull it out. Clip or pluck any feathers in the immediate area of the wound so they don't brush inside and contaminate it. Wounds must be warm, clean, and have blood flow to heal. I'm not entirely sure what angle the photos show, but from what I can see I think stitches or wrapping would be a bad idea due to the bacteria that would be left in the cavity with ideal conditions for multiplying.

Disclaimer—I am not a vet.
This is very helpful. Thank you so much!

If possible, please post a couple more pics of the whole chicken so we can gauge specific locations of injuries more thoroughly. A few of the pics above look like possible reproductive tract ripped open--are those eggs I'm seeing? Fat?

Where are the worst wounds in the first 3 pictures? Keep her wounds moist by spraying with wound spray (Vetericyn or similar) and apply the palin Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day and as needed. Something like Hibiclens and water or Betadine would be good to clean the wound if it smells bad or looks infected. Drinking and eating is good, but a lot depends on the next few days if there were any internal injuries. Listen for any air leaking, since air sacs may have been puntured. Her oil or preen gland above her tail could be damaged or missing. Keep her separated and away from flies until her wounds have healed and scabbed over.

If possible, please post a couple more pics of the whole chicken so we can gauge specific locations of injuries more thoroughly. A few of the pics above look like possible reproductive tract ripped open--are those eggs I'm seeing? Fat?
I added more pictures! I hope those are better.

Where are the worst wounds in the first 3 pictures? Keep her wounds moist by spraying with wound spray (Vetericyn or similar) and apply the palin Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day and as needed. Something like Hibiclens and water or Betadine would be good to clean the wound if it smells bad or looks infected. Drinking and eating is good, but a lot depends on the next few days if there were any internal injuries. Listen for any air leaking, since air sacs may have been puntured. Her oil or preen gland above her tail could be damaged or missing. Keep her separated and away from flies until her wounds have healed and scabbed over.
The first three look like they are near her neck or her breast?? But thank you very much for your advice. I picked up some Neosporin and Hibiclens. If there is any air leaking, what should I do?

Thank you for posting more pics. This is only my opinion, but having dealt with a few close calls as well as fatal ones in other animals, that's a mortal wound: there are organs showing. So--again just my opinion--I'd humanely euthanize this one. She's got to be suffering.

Well there may not be much you can do without a vet. You could put some vaseline or Neosporin on a piece of gauze and hold it over the location leaking air, and go to a vet. Use the Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) with a little water as the label says. Apply the ointment twice a day after cleaning the wound.
Okay will do, thanks! I didn’t hear any air leaking but I wanted to make sure I know what to do just in case I do.

Thank you for posting more pics. This is only my opinion, but having dealt with a few close calls as well as fatal ones in other animals, that's a mortal wound: there are organs showing. So--again just my opinion--I'd humanely euthanize this one. She's got to be suffering.
That looks more like discoloured tissue to me than organs? I mean, I could be wrong. Hard to tell with low res pictures. :fl

any updates on how she's doing and acting, it's always scary but remaining calm they can over come a lot if your willing to take care of her, I nursed a young cockerel that had almost had his head taken off took almost a month of isolation while he healed as bad as it was but he's a happy well adjusted 5 year old rooster with his 20 hens where he went to live, it just does take commitment to do it and don't be afraid to ask questions

we cant save them all but where he had hard road to recover and luckily no nerve issues it was worth it. warning he sure wanted to be a cuddle bug

Last edited:
I've treated worse at home, and the bird did end up surviving. I agree that the wound should be flushed quite well. If there's any feathers or other debris inside, pull it out. Clip or pluck any feathers in the immediate area of the wound so they don't brush inside and contaminate it. Wounds must be warm, clean, and have blood flow to heal. I'm not entirely sure what angle the photos show, but from what I can see I think stitches or wrapping would be a bad idea due to the bacteria that would be left in the cavity with ideal conditions for multiplying.

Disclaimer—I am not a vet.
nope just a eggspert lol

Back
Top Bottom