Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
I just build a new coop and recently had to take my chickens out of it and put them in their old cage because they tried to eat a staple aka Unail and Im looking for a magnet that is strong enough to pull an iron staple/Unail at least 2 to 3 feet away. That way I wont have any worries about 1 being left in there to try and eat. I had a huge roll magnet that is pretty strong I thought but it didn't pull the staple/unail if it was laying like 3 inches away and I think that's how I missed 1 possibly more. Anyway if you have a magnet in mind where I can get one. Please let me know asap thanks. GOD bless.

strong enough to pull an iron staple/Unail at least 2 to 3 feet away.
Rather unreasonable exception......but you can rent rolling magnets at most equipment rental places. What I did after replacing shingles on coop shed, works pretty darn good. Will take multiple passes over area, and you still might not get them all.
Really important when building around chickens to be very vigilant about dropping fasteners.

How come the rolling magnet wouldn't reach?

Harbor freight sells little round magnets that mount on a metal pole. I guess they are about 3" diameter. They are as strong as your going to get with a regular magnet. I'm thinking they also have the magnet/pole combo, not sure. The pole is about 3' long i guess.

How come the rolling magnet wouldn't reach?

Harbor freight sells little round magnets that mount on a metal pole. I guess they are about 3" diameter. They are as strong as your going to get with a regular magnet. I'm thinking they also have the magnet/pole combo, not sure. The pole is about 3' long i guess.
Idk. You would have thought it would though.

The strength of a magnetic field drops off roughly exponentially over distance so what your asking for is actually impossible for a hand held magnet. Even a giant 1000 pound crane mounted electro-magnet like you see in scrap yards can't pull from 3' away... get within 2' with a steel plate and bam your stuck.

JT

Back
Top Bottom