HELP!! Baby Chick: Impacted Crop

Pics
Depending on how bad it is if you give him some vegetable oil with a dropper and massage the crop it might work. Do you think its a sour crop?

This site has a ton of info you can use.
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/02/sour-crop.html

It says to hold it upside down and rub the crop to induce vomiting. I personally have never tried it, but it could work. I thought I had a crop issue once, but it turned out it was just REALLY full one day. the next day she was fine. I had done a bunch of research on it though.

Baby Chick has an Impacted Crop. How do I massage it?! I reckon he'll die, but it's worth a shot.
I had this same issue the other day! I tried using coconut oil, grit, papaya, etc. Nothing worked at all. I had to drive around for a few hours on a goose chase, to find a place that works with chickens. They each recommended another place. I found somewhere outside the city where the farming areas are. They sucked her crop empty and flushed it out with saline water. Only cost 65

I was worried the impact was further in her intestine, but everything worked out.
F4530851-21EE-4527-AFB6-49C2592A88B4.jpeg
0C37A003-0CD0-465B-9DC9-2A702FFB83EC.jpeg

Do we know what might have caused the impaction?

Treats too early without grit, eating grass or brooder bedding, foreign object? Knowing 'what' is blocking things up may help with coming up with a plan to get it out or move things along.

How old? It'll be harder to treat the tinier they are due to how fragile chicks can be.

If it's full to the point of vomiting when you massage it, there's a risk if aspiration. Olive Oil is generally recommended to loosen things up, but it doesn't sound like you can provide it safely at this stage.

I've been lucky enough to dodge proper impaction so far and have only ever had slow emptying crops to deal with, so am only familiar with the basics on this one.

Is there any bad smell that may indicate rot or discoloration of the skin around the crop? Is it rock hard or squishy\fluid filled?

Back
Top Bottom