Help Breeding.

Cesar Castillo

Hatching
Dec 3, 2017
Not sure if posting this in the right section or not.
So I'm not into being a breeder but my dad is but he is kind of a beginner to all this.
He was telling me about the different breeds he has had in the past and told me that so far he has only managed to breed one white hen.
So my question is it difficult to breed white chicken or are there any tips to breeding them?

:welcome!

What is he trying to breed? What breed was he working with? Did he not have white birds and got one white offspring from the birds he did have?

White generally is really easy to breed, if it's dominant white. Dominant white 'covers' other colors. Breed two dominant white birds together and you get white. Breed dominant white to most other colors, and you also get white.

Recessive white is trickier, and does show up in some breeds. Silkies for example are recessive white. If you bred a white silkie to another color bird you wouldn't get white, but the resulting offspring would carry white and if bred back to a white bird or to each other would produce white offspring.

That's very true. And I heard flat coated were a pretty good breed and calm etc.

I wonder if the other breeds are energetic though? My dad seems to think spaniels are really hyper and crazy

Not sure if posting this in the right section or not.
So I'm not into being a breeder but my dad is but he is kind of a beginner to all this.
He was telling me about the different breeds he has had in the past and told me that so far he has only managed to breed one white hen.
So my question is it difficult to breed white chicken or are there any tips to breeding them?

:welcome hey there need a bit more info please white cockerel white hens or pullets need white behind them also get him book on genetics or let him look it up here doing keyword searches

Back
Top Bottom