Help broody mama left her nest overnight after 28 days, should I try incubating eggs?!

Apr 18, 2023
Hi everyone!

My mallard duck has been broody for 28 days and yesterday into last night she seems to be done being broody and abandoned the eggs. It got down to about 50°f last night. Would that be too cold to try to salvage the eggs and attempt to hatch them in the incubator?

Thank you

If you're sure she abandoned the nest, then it won't hurt to try to hatch them. I've had an egg that was partially hatched kicked out of the nest and get cold. Thought for sure the chick was dead. But warming it up (first with my breath, then in the incubator) did the trick and he's all grown up now.

I would. I'd also candle the eggs to see if one is bad.
I've not heard of this in ducks, but supposedly chickens can smell the sulfur from a bad egg and will abandon it.
My Welsh harlequins must not have a good sniffer. They will honestly sit on rocks if we put a clutch in their house.

I would. I'd also candle the eggs to see if one is bad.
I've not heard of this in ducks, but supposedly chickens can smell the sulfur from a bad egg and will abandon it.
My Welsh harlequins must not have a good sniffer. They will honestly sit on rocks if we put a clutch in their house.
Sounds like my Muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom