Help! Coccidiosis

Kathy,

My healthy chicks are in the 200g plus range. The ones I need to get water into are in the 125-150 range. They haven't eaten much the past few days.

Nitrex

Formula to calculate dose is weight in kg, times 25 (mg/kg), divide by 125 (mg/ml), so a 100 gram chick looks like:

• .1 x 25 ÷ 125 = 0.02ml

Hope that helps.

-Kathy

I don't have access to the liquid sulfa meds, so I'm using the Duravet soluable powder. It is the same stuff that was linked to in an earlier post from McMurray Hatchery. As stated, I'm mixing at a rate of 2 tsp. per gallon of water.

Nitrex

Powder does make it a little harder, but you could still do it. One 1/2 teaspoon probably weighs 1.25-1.5 grams, so with a little math you could give them a concentrated dose. If you can't do that, try to get 10-20 ml of medicated water per 100 grams of body weight per day.

-Kathy

Remember that 1 teaspoon of powder will weigh less than 1 teaspoon of water.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Ok...I could use a little help with these chicks.

I lost the weakest chick yesterday morning. She was always much worse than the others. The others seem to be eating, preening themselves, etc., but still stumbling and there overall condition hasn't improved much if any. When, or will they regain strength? They've been on antibiotics for 5.5 days. Supposed to stop that today. They are still lethargic!

Nitrex

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom