Help, Dog eating chicken poop

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by yellowroseli, Mar 5, 2009.

1. yellowroseli

yellowroseli Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    My beagel will not stop eating the chicken poop. Any suggestions here. Will it make her sick??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    ewwww

no help from me, but ewwww.

Our dog ate litter box tootsie rolls. We had to put the boxes up out of her reach

3. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    My mum's beagle keeps eating dog poop. I think she's going senile though. She's 11 and she LOVES to go outside and roll around in poop and eat it.

They just keep her bathed and wormed.

edited to add: it's called coprophagia and it's more common in puppies. I don't have any suggestions, so most sites recommend dumping hot sauce on the poo, but that is hardly helpful in this situation.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  4. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Some dogs just like poop. Mine will occasionally partake of a poopy snack, but she prefers to roll in it. [​IMG] How much is she eating?
    I'd suggest no puppy kisses and get a fecal done on her every once in awhile if you're worried.

5. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    mine does too..but my chickens are also nasty little beasts as well...this morning, my goat "betsy" was pooping...and one of my roosters was actually eating the poop as it was coming out! [​IMG] [​IMG]\\

6. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I have heard of feeding pineapple to dogs to stop other dogs from eating their poo. It makes it taste bad to the one eating it (as if it isn't nasty already) I wonder if feeding it to the chickens will have the same effect. Our dogs used to run to the road everytime someone rode a horse by checking for yummies. Yuck!!!!

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Sorry there's no help for the dog. My dogs eat cat poop, chicken poop, cow poop and goat poop. They love it! This is why I never let any dog lick me! I always tell my kids I don't want buttface.

8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Quote:Why on earth would you even think of getting rid of the dog?

Let her eat poop. Who cares? Don't kiss her.

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, unfortunately most dogs are just foul and gleefully disgusting. My two knuckleheads enjoy grazing the yard after the chickens have been out. I have tried many things, including gross "taste enhancements" - - but how do you make something already nasty taste worse??

Just look away . . . look away . . .[​IMG]

10. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    One of my Bostons does it ALL the time. The other one knows not to do it when we are around. We can't get the one to stop. Sometimes she does it so much she throws up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by